Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Interesting etymologies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting etymologies Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I listened to a great NPR program today as I drove home from my Dad's home in Wisconsin. It was a about a book written by James McCuen (or something...I wasn't sure of the spelling, but from his accent he seemed to be from Scotland or thereabouts). It was about early Rome, and there were a lot of references to language, words and etymology. One that I enjoyed was the etymology of " muscle ." It comes from the Latin word "little mouse"...because the movement of some muscles (notably the biceps) resembles little mice running up the arm.

What are some other interesting etymologies?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I was amused to learn that the coccyx, the bone at the base of the spine (often called the tailbone), comes from the ancient Greek word for cuckoo, from a resemblance of the bone to the shape of a cuckoo's beak.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mouse, muscle, mussel, musk, nutmeg

I recently discovered that miniature is from Latin miniāre "to make red".

posted Hide Post
I love anatomical names. One of my favorites is the sella turcica, or Turkish saddle, the little saddle-like structure of bone in which sits the optic chiasm.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Uvula sounds slightly dirty.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And I love its etymology...from the Latin meaning a "small bunch of grapes."

posted Hide Post
The amygdala is from the Greek for "almond".

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This is a fun Web site, though our linguists here will probably say that it's not accurate. Link

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

The vuvuzela, the noise-maker blown incessantly by crowds at the FIFA World Cup, also sounds a little naughty.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
This is a fun Web site, though our linguists here will probably say that it's not accurate. Link

The etymology for "coconut" is interesting and seems to basically be true. I don't think it's from a Latin word meaning "skull", but it might be from Portuguese "coco" ("grinning face, grin, grimace", also "bugbear, scarecrow").
quote:
Does the word "over" indeed come from the Hebrew "avar"?
y. The Hebrew word "avar" which means "past" or "over" might also be the source of the name Iberia, the end of the know world, and of the Japanese word "awari."

wait, what?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

Vagina is from the Latin for "sheath". The same Latin word is the source of the sheath-shaped vanilla bean.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The Hebrew word "avar" which means "past" or "over"

The trouble with this is that there are clear cognates in other Germanic languages, so it's not English that might have borrowed the word from Hebrew, but Proto-Germanic or Proto-Indo-European. Of couse, the transcription of the Hebrew word does make it look similar to the English one. Hebrew עבר (ʕbr)'to pass, pass over, cross over', cf. Arabic ʕabara 'he passed over, crossed over', Akkadian ebēru 'topass over, cross over'. Two problems I see are the ayin (pharyngeal fricative) which would have been pronounced as such in the past (though today only Yemeni Hebrew speakers keep the distinction, the rest pronounce it the same as aleph, a glottal stop). When a b can be spirantized as a v is something to look into also. The verb may be connected with the demonym עברי (ʕivri) 'Hebrew, Jew' and there could be a connection with the toponym Iberia as there were Phoenicians in Iberia, although there is another Iberia in the Caucasus that might need explaining. Off hand, I'd say it's not a site whose etymologies I'd have much confidence in.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cheese as in the big cheese is probably borrowed from Urdu or Persian چيز cīz "thing".