Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fame Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I've just seen an old episode of the original US version of The Apprentice*. It was one where the candidates had to organise a celebrity auction - selling off experiences with the celebrities in question. Each team was allocated five celebrities to negotiate with.
Now I know this is the US and not the UK but there was not one single person among them that I have ever heard of. Not one of the ten.
That's OK though. I don't expect many of our so-called British celebrities - even the really big names - have made much of an impact there either.
What amused me was that in negotiating with someone who apparently has a succesful chat show one of the candidates said to him "Maybe the winner could meet you and a celebrity."
Ouch!

(*Look, I know. I'll watch pretty much anything I can get my hands on that's in English. There probably is a line I won't cross but The Apprentice isn't it.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Would you cross the Honey Boo Boo line? Or are you British lucky enough to not have it? It is a new low reality show. Someone told me that they recently made spaghetti. The sauce ingredients? Half melted butter and half ketchup.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for your nutritional advice. I wasn't sure that I would be able to manage a dish so complex but luckily the link you gave me includes the recipe.

To answer your question, no.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I click on the "entertainment" area of a news source from the USA I don't recognize 90% of the "celebrities" mentioned, and I've lived in the USA for 68 years!

As for "reality" shows, it's disgusting what the FCC permits nowadays! Obese trailer trash accusing one another of impregnating the other's girlfriend/boyfriend/dog/cat - whatever... And cable TV hucksters want me to spend a hundred bucks a month to watch 50 channels of this tripe? Nope.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
This is a very interesting topic, and... I HAVE A THEORY. The subject gets bounced around a lot in my household under the subcategory 'whatever happened to pop music?'

I make an analogy to America's [hopefully on its way out] dysfunctional health-insurance industry. Since there is/was no mandate, one can opt in or out at will. Hence healthy youth opt out; the elderly, the sick, those with no other options stay in, creating a too-small pool paying inordinate prices for coverage. The industry basks in its wealth for a few decades but ultimately must crumble.

At one time national radio & TV stations were few; the pool of creative input and the audience were massive. We got high-quality product dumbed down for the masses. Technology created cheaper options; audience has dwindled. The few remaining 'nationals' are the only game left for big advertisers; those who haven't yet opted out (to satellite, DVR, netflix etc) are inundated with ads every few minutes, and the talent has mostly left for the suburbs.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think that's a good analogy. It's certainly an excellent description of our current insurance industry. Of course, you forgot that insurance companies, to keep their profits up, can at any moment kick people out, drastically raise rates, or refuse to pay for something because, in their minds (and their minds only), it is "experimental." I've seen all three of those happen with patients, with devastating results...death, bankruptcy and homelessness.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post