Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Anyone for euphemisms?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone for euphemisms? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
If I hadn’t read this in The Independent which is a respectable newspaper I would have assumed that it came from something like The Onion...

Apparently the Conservative government is considering raising the retirement age from 66 to 75... or as they have explained it “giving older people a chance to access the benefits of working”.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm almost 75 and am enjoying the benefits of underemployment. $13.00/hr. Nowhere close to middle class. I'll work until all of me dies, not just the parts that are already gone.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am over 65 and still really enjoying working. I think people are working longer these days.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The new proposal doesn’t mean you can work to 75 (you already can if you can find a job) it means that you must... everyone, firefighters, police officers, teachers, construction workers, everyone. That includes people who have paid full national insurance contributions (which are compulsory) for their entire working life who will be told - sorry you thought you could retire next year but now you have ten more years to go.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah - that is a different story. And what about health considerations?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post