Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    174 names for dust bunnies?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

174 names for dust bunnies? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In the Wall Street Journal today there was a great article about the Dictionary of American Regional English. The man responsible for this dictionary cataloging American regionalisms, Frederic Cassidy, died in 2000 at age 92, having gotten to the Os. [Does that remind you of another big dictionary that is being written?] Finally Volume V is being published, to finish off the dictionary.

It intrigued me to hear that there are 174 names for dust bunnies (sound familiar, Alaskans?)...from frog hair to cussywops to woofinpoofs to ghost manure. I've got to say, I rather like the latter. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny, most of our dust bunnies seem to have dog and cat hair. Confused And we never find any playboy bunnies under the couch! Oh, welllll... They're probably all at Proofreader's house.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Dust bunnies aggravate but playboy bunnies suck.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Huge Heifer knows that bunnies are coprophages?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
I came across the term "cowboy caviar" and looked it up to find this.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have the book cited, the "Dictionary of American Regional English?" It sounds good!

I rather like cussywops.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have the book cited

I have the first two volumes. It is a great reference dictionary.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think I will buy it then.

<Proofreader>
posted
I have the first two volumes of gthe Historical Dictionary of American Slang, which has apparently decided not to go beyond "O" for some reason.

posted Hide Post
Oprah probably paid them to stop there.

<Proofreader>
posted
On a MacDonald's cup today: piping cold.

Is that phrase actually possible?
Here is the entymology of piping hot, which seems to be the only legitimate connection with piping.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Clearly piping cold doesn't work.

Was it on a cold cup or what kind of a cup?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
piping cold

It seems ordinary enough to me that piping (which has changed a lot over its tenure as an English word) can come to mean 'very' rather than 'extremely hot'. If you insist on the latter meaning, then you have the faux horror of a tautology. That to one side, I liked the term.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Isn't it McDonald's that describe their apple pies on their menus with the standing epithet piping hot?

I'm rather less accepting than zmj of the use of piping to mean "very". One might as well say "boiling hot".

I suppose it could be an attempt to convey the fact that the cup can be used for hot or cold liquids, but I suspect I'm attributing too much to either McDonald's or their patrons' intelligence. If it is such an attempt, it failed miserably.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send your money to Jose Bove! Big Grin http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/A706736

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
One might as well say "boiling hot".

Indeed one might. Roll Eyes

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post

At least the meaning of boiling is obvious to a speaker of English from the meaning of a verb to boil. Piping is not so transparent in its meaning.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:

Indeed one might. Roll Eyes

AARGHH! I made a mess of that, didn't I? I meant to say "boiling cold". Red Face

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
I like zmj's point that if you complain about piping cold, it follows that piping hot is redundant, because the meaning of "hot" is already part of piping. Therefore, piping hot is Wrong.

It seems to me that McDonald's is using language creatively to get attention.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I meant to say "boiling cold".

FWIW, I have seen liquid nitrogen boiling, and it's damned cold.

McDonald's is using language creatively to get attention.

Shades of the "what do you want good grammar or good taste" Winston's ad campaign of the '60s. Too bad Micky Dee couldn't invest a little time and money in making their product better.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
FWIW, I have seen liquid nitrogen boiling, and it's damned cold.

Relative to the ambient temperature but, for its state, it's hot.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, I'm no physicist, but I understand that water will boil in a vacuum.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post

Yes, but when I say a liquid is hot, I mean relative to my mouth. I don't think I would say piping cold myself, but I thought it was a cute conceit. I doubt that it will have an impact on the language in the long run.

Peevers seem to believe that all language change is bad and that bad language somehow infects otherwise goodly speakers causing them to say bad things, etc. And that in the end, bad language will devolve to the point that nobody can say or write anything, which is preposterous. Old English is a entirely different language from Present-day English, but it is no less good or expressive or what-have-you. French is not Latin, especially it is not bad Latin. It's just another language that happens to be related to Latin.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
piping cold
Going back to this, I saw a similar usage today in my paper, reported as a "Cute things children say" item.

A six-year-old, in a car with his mother on a foggy day with snow on the ground, remarked that it was "pitch white".

He's obviously not heard of the black tar-like substance so mistook the word "pitch" to be a sort of intensifier.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I kinda like "pitch white." Wink

Of course, there is this.