Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    language log on so-called g-dropping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

language log on so-called g-dropping Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
Mark Liberman has a great posting on g-dropping in the US presidential debates (link). Mr Verb has a related post, too (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've gotta be pretty familiar with g-droppings when you're trackin' the elusive Alaskan G. Me, I just prefer shootin' 'em from a plane.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I hear what Liberman is saying, but it must be instinctual and not political. No one thinks about each and every word he's saying, especially in a nationwide debate. As one who saw the whole debate, I hadn't noticed it.

I noticed in one of the Mr. Verb links, the good old "Language Monitor" is quoted again. Apparently during the last debate, McCain spoke at a 7.4 grade level, while Obama spoke at a 9.3 level. However, Obama's falling, according to this "esteemed" journal, was that he used the passive voice twice as much as McCain. Audiences, according to the "Language Monitor," respond better to the active voice because it's "more direct."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Motivated Grammar talks about the GLM analysis.