Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abbr Login/Join

posted
Over the years I have been roundly criticized and dragged over the proverbial hotspot for one reason or another--even threatened with banishment--and pursuant to new years' resolution would like very much to improve myself

In few if any such cases, however, has anyone offered a concrete example. For instance I endeavor to use only standard abbrs (with only a few exceptions, including de- and pre-, which are pretty obvious in our environment)

And I cannot offhand remember any others that might qualify. Please don't make it a project, but if you can recall any off the top of your head, I thank you most profusely

(In some cases, however, if I don't then quit using the abbr, it's not because I don't appreciate your input but because I judge that almost any English-speaker using a board such as this should recognize it, eg, "abbr")

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
How about using some punctuation as well? The lack of full stops (periods) and question marks at the ends of your sentences is most off-putting. Posting suchlike on a wordlovers' board is taking the piss, as we say here in jolly old Blighty.

Getting rid of pre- and de- would also be much appreciated, as would abbrev" and the like. Whilst the regulars here who read your posts may be able to understand what you mean, the same can't be said for newcomers. There is no excuse for using non-standard abbreviations as it takes hardly any more time to type and it just makes you look lazy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I reiterate Arnie's suggestion of using full stops. We had started a similar word board for kids at one time, and one of our rules was that since that was a board about language, the kids should use complete sentences, at least. I'd love to see the same here.

Abbreviations irritate me, as well, and not just yours, Dale. Our sister board, OEDILF, uses so many abbreviations that I often don't have the foggiest idea what they mean. I sometimes find the same with your posts. I'd not, for example, abbreviate abbreviation.

Might I also suggest that when you start a post, you make your subject line more clear? I had no idea what Abbr was going to be about and I really didn't get it until your line 3 of your post. Perhaps something like, "Suggestions please?" would have been more clear.

Having said that, I applaud you for trying to improve yourself as a member of our community. Surely we all could gain something by doing the same thing. Thank you!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
rules

Language is rules-based. The rules are all important. Follow the rules! Of course, I couldn't be bothered less [sic] to follow the rules, but then I'm alzheimerisch and banterful. When you make a mistake, it's because you're illiterate. When I follow mine own rules, it's because of my vision, which, being old, is rather blinkered. On a lighter note, did you know that leaving off periods and question marks at the end of a sentence is worse than SMSing your loved ones during a test begging for a life line? Follow the rules!

Signature? I don't gotta shew you no stinkin' signature.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Suggestions for a new year (and not to repeat the others).
?
!

And in the words of that great and eloquent prescriptivist E.B. White, "Omit needless words."

Other than that, happy New Year to you, and to all the rest of us, and may your resolution bear fruit.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post