Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Odd phrasing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd phrasing Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Does this strike anyone else as rather strange phrasing?

Heard on a TV discussion this evening-

"The troops will only take offensive action in self-defense."

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It could mean that after the first attack all bets are off.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's an expression, "The best defense is a good offense". I typically use it when I'm told to be a "defensive driver".

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've always liked "preemptive defense", a phrase that lets me attack anyone I feel like on the grounds that they might attack me at some undefined time in the future.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always liked "preemptive defense", a phrase that lets me attack anyone I feel like on the grounds that they might attack me at some undefined time in the future.

You know, I could swear that I've noticed a leader of a major world power use exactly this device not all that long ago. I wish I could remember who it was...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:

You know, I could swear that I've noticed a leader of a major world power use exactly this device not all that long ago. I wish I could remember who it was...

Can't be Tony Blair. It's a long time since anyone thought of us as a major world power. Roll Eyes

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can't be Tony Blair. It's a long time since anyone thought of us as a major world power. Roll Eyes

quote:

I suppose it depends on your criteria. We are the sixth largest spender on military items (SOURCE: CIA World Factbook, 28 July 2005) and supposedly the fourth most economically important country - but I don't trust the source completely. We are also the fourth most innovative country in the world (SOURCE: Porter, Michael E. and Scott Stern, National Innovative Capacity, Chapter 2.2 in Porter, Michael, and JeffreySachs (eds.), The Global Competitiveness Report 2001-2002, New York: Oxford University Press, 2001, p.104. via ciesin.org)

So, although we are no longer the superpower we once were, we're pretty high on the scale.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
we're pretty high on the scale

... and, first in modesty ...

The -fense in defense and offense is from the Latin -fendere from PIE *gwhen- 'to strike, kill': cogantes English bane, fence, German Bahn 'way, road' (as in Autobahn 'freeway, motorway'), gun (from Old Norse gunnr 'war'), Persian zahr 'poison', Sanskrit hanti 'strikes, slays'

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
we're pretty high on the scale

... and, first in modesty ...

Certainly much more modest than the country with the highest GDP (Grossly Defective Propaganda)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Of all the thousands of virtues that we possess, modesty and humility rank highest on the list.

LOL

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post