Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Repitition à la Hale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repitition à la Hale Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Friend Bob says elsewhere,
    ”They should let Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt job share with the mornings for him and the afternoons for her. Then we could have the p.m. PM P.M.”
In tat spirit, I briefly submit the following for you amusement: “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.”

All hail, hale Hale!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well, in that case I submit this example of someone explaining why he got a question on his English exam wrong but his friend got it right... “I, where he had had “had”, had had “had had”.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And it occurs to me that this could get really meta (not connected with Meta™) if there is a situation where both I and my friend try to explain that last sentence to you but, as before he gets it right and I get it wrong...

I, where he had had 'had had “had”, had had “had had”' had had 'had had “had had”, had had “had had”'.

And if we tried to explain THAT sentence... and so on ad infinitum.

I think I will go and have a lie down now.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It also occurs to me that if I asked Paul McCartney to send a message to my hypothetical part time Prime Minister I would say "P.M. PM p.m. PM P.M."

posted Hide Post
I think we've been had.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I learned a version of that many years ago, with two kids discussing the reason for their different marks in English class:

Tom, where Tim had had "had," had had "had had;" "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

Doesn't quite have the same recursive potential of yours, though...

Posts: 6266 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Yes. I learned a version of that many years ago, with two kids discussing the reason for their different marks in English class:

Tom, where Tim had had "had," had had "had had;" "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

Doesn't quite have the same recursive potential of yours, though...

I had, or had had, a hell of a job making sure I got the recursive version right. And I'm still not 100% sure that I did.