Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Eponyms, toponyms, and Eminems?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eponyms, toponyms, and Eminems? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
We've discussed eponyms and toponyms, but what about noms de plume, stage names, and the like? Where do writers, noise makers - er - rock and roll types, actors, and so forth get their names? I can understand why Marion Morrison picked John Wayne, but who decided on Marilyn Monroe, O'Henry, etc...?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good question, Asa. I had thought the answer would be that it's different for everyone, but I decided to go to Google. Someone asked that exact same question on a site I hadn't heard of, "Ask the Answer Bitch" (sweet name, eh?). Here is what she says. The answer does seem to vary. Some make up the stage names; others come from Shakespeare and other famous writers; some go to mentors for ideas; etc.

That Answer Bitch is a bit feisty, isn't she? Interestingly, while at Borders today I saw a book (that I didn't look at) entitled, "Why Men Marry Bitches." Sheesh!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eminem gets his rapper name directly from his initials, MM, for Marshal Mathers.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post