Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Sign in please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sign in please Login/Join

posted
Being a newbie, can't say there's a lot of catagories read thru yet... cor you'd think wuz a buncha 'dicted smithies here... Wink

So pardon if this obviously delicious subject has been ridden to death somewhere else and im thumping dry hide. Or perhaps i should have investigated the Limricks & Puns aisle. Ah weel hiere i am now. And what has caught my funnybone now are these perfectly suited Signs for business shops or events or items...

In a shoe store : "Come in and have a fit"

In a brassier shop: "We fix flats"

In a music store window: "Gone Chopin. Bach inna minuete."

On a fortune teller's door: "Medium prices"

In a Catholic Church: "Litany candles?"

At Batteries Plus : "Wanna start something?"

On a junkyard fence: "Edifice Wrecks"

more? or is there a list already assembled? Roll Eyes

Posts: 23 | Location: MinnesotaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Epi: Thank you for those

Speaking of categories, yo'll find Q&A and Potpourri to be by far the most active

What does it mean, "thumping dry hide"; did you make it up and if not how long has it been around

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
There are puns and other silly stuph in Wordplay under several headings. Here's some that are posted elsewhere - I think...

Mufler shop: Our business is exhausting

Hatchery: Cheepers by the dozen

Massage parlor run by Hamlet: Ay, there's the rub!

Office of a moyle: I work for tips. Frown

Generator sales company: Open a charge account

Boat builder's shop: Out to launch. Yawl come back at 1:00 and we'll have yachts of fun!

Auto body shop: May I have the next dents?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dalehileman, quote:
"What does it mean, "thumping dry hide"; did you make it up and if not how long has it been around?"
---------------------
I was attempting at being original. Alluding to the old saw 'beating a dead horse' when a subject has been over-explored or reiterated upon. The first half of my inquiry had asked if 'sign-puns' was already ridden to death. The progressive visualization is the dehydrated, mummified carcass one sees on a south-o-the-border drive. Hense, dry hide. Sigh, but once allusion needs to be explained, it loses its original fizz. So i guess i didn't do it right.

Posts: 23 | Location: MinnesotaReply With QuoteReport This Post