Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Proving the rule
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proving the rule Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Wondermark.

Remember to click the links to the other sightings of the Useless Linguist!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your link reminded me of the day I walked into my home and found an elephant sitting on what used to be the sofa. Needless to say I was startled. "Did I startle you? Did you do a double-take," the elephant queried? "Damn right, I sputtered! Who the hell are you?" He replied, grinning, "I'm the Elephant of Surprise!"

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I have to hand it to you, most people are too afraid to even address the elephant in the room.

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made the mistake of looking this phrase up on wikipedia. It lists "five ways in which the phrase is commonly used, here listed in order from most to least correct." Serious nonsense indeed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And in turn, the Elephant of Surprise reminded me of my favourite Gary Larson cartoon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, I remember him well. Had Larson only published on the 15th of the month, would it have been the Farce Ide?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
would it have been the Farce Ide?

Only in March, July, October and May.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice tagline, arnie! Smile

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post