Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Taking the mike
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking the mike Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Until recently, every time I've seen an abbreviation of the word microphone it has been spelled mike. Over the last couple of years I've noticed that the more common abbreviation here has become mic instead. Have others noticed this? Any idea when and why the change happened?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I, too, had noticed this, arnie. Probably because folks baulk at writing mike as an abbreviation of microphone. I've never seen mic for mike when talking about micrograms, though. I hesitate likewise when writing sync for synchronization; I want to write synch, but it looks funny.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't stand either "mic" or "sync". By themselves I suppose they aren't so bad, but the ugliness really shows when you add some suffixes. I think "miced", "micing", "synced", and "syncing" look far inferior to "miked", "miking", "synched", and "synching". Because I use the latter two quite frequently in my writing, I almost always use "synch".

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think "miced", "micing", "synced", and "syncing" look far inferior
It's not just a matter of "look".

In mic, etc. the c-sound is hard, pronounced like a k. But when a c is followed by an e or an i (as in miced or micing), the usual rule is to give it the soft sound, like an s. Thus for these words, adding the suffix -ed or -ing would change the c-sound from hard to soft.

Any verb ending in c presents this problem, and the usual solution is to insert a k before the suffix. Thus, for example, picnic becomes picnicked and picnicking. But that solution won't work with mic: if you spelled the past tense as micking, you'd convert the vowel-sound from a long i to a short i

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I suppose logically we ought to start seeing bic and tric for bicycle and tricycle. This is one occasion when I'm glad that the English language isn't logical!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Though the noun be an abbreviation, "the M.C.", the verb is spelled out "to emcee". (Called a compere in the UK, I believe.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We use MC, too (in full, Master of Ceremonies). Compere is used, but seems vaguely old-fashioned, to my eye/ear, at least. It reminds me of 1950s radio shows.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
seems vaguely old-fashioned, to my eye/ear

In my ear, BBC announcers still use RP.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never seen mic for mike when talking about micrograms...

Hmmm...micrograms of what, Z.?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...micrograms of what, Z.?

Pounds shillings and pence. Purely in the interest of linguistics. Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
"Mike" for "microphone" looks better to me than "mic," which I want to pronounce "mick." Now that I've read this entire thread, I think I'll stop using the shortened forms, except when I sync my PDA, which is never, because it's dead.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post