Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Can we have black back?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we have black back? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
QT tells about a catalog that offers Gaia walking shoes in 2 colors: anthracite and red. He asks if we can have the word "black" back. I haven't seen this color used, have you?

Other words he wants back are "landscapers" instead of "landscape architects" and "hunger" for "food insecurity."

What other words do you want back?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't get me started! I surely agree with black.

I also want to be able to use "gay" - as in "A bachelor gay am I" without my words being interpreted as meaning homosexuality.

Oh, and I'd like homosexual back as well!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:

Don't get me started! I surely agree with black.

I also want to be able to use "gay" - as in "A bachelor gay am I" without my words being interpreted as meaning homosexuality.

Oh, and I'd like homosexual back as well!

Now then let's see. That's "back" as a noun meaning "rear" and "homosexual" as an adjective, I think.

Did I interpret that correctly?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gaia walking shoes in 2 colors: anthracite and red

They appear to have missed a trick. Why haven't they used another term for "red"?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Anthracite has an interesting history: Greek anthrakitis 'a kind of coal', probably from anthraks 'charcoal, carbuncle'. Carbuncle < Latin carbo, carbonis, 'ember; carbuncle' is a double diminutive of carbo, carbonis, 'coal'; it is related to ceramic and hearth.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I interpret that correctly?

Not exactly...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's interesting, Zmj, because a "carbuncle" isn't necessarily "black." I guess the inflammation could make it reddish, though, and a carbuncle is also a deep-red garnet or a red precious stone (obsolete). Funny...because if "carbuncle" indirectly is derived from "anthracite," the black or red shoes could be described as "anthracite" in color.

[Edited typo.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
if "carbuncle" indirectly is derived from "anthracite,"

No, anthrakitis is just Greek for carbuncle. The two words are not related to one another.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Hmm... I doubt that the advertising types won't start using "carbuncle" as a synonym for "red" quite yet, then.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Probably not, arnie. I looked into the history of anthrax because I think of it as a white powder and not black lump of coal.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
Anthracite has an interesting history: Greek anthrakitis 'a kind of coal', probably from anthraks 'charcoal, carbuncle'.

It's related to anthrax - a carbuncle can also refer to a malignant growth.

quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
Carbuncle < Latin carbo, carbonis, 'ember; carbuncle' is a double diminutive of carbo, carbonis, 'coal'; it is related to ceramic and hearth.

And Krishna!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
goofy, I've never heard of a carbuncle as referring to a malignant growth, and I used to research cancer and teach oncology to undergraduate and graduate nursing students. Can you tell me more about that? It has always been an infection of the subcutaneous tissue, to me.

posted Hide Post
No, you're right; I'm wrong.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Gosh, I thought a carbuncle was the old jalopy I drove in college. Confused

Sometimes gay Asa - and sometimes not

Reply With QuoteReport This Post