Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Lojban Alice In Wonderland
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lojban Alice In Wonderland Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I recently discovered that there are a number of Lexicon Valley podcasts that I hadn't heard and have been working my way through them. Episode 33 was entitled The End of Ambiguity and dealt with an artificial language that was originally known as Loglan and is now called Lojban. The aim was to create a language in which ambiguous utterances are impossible and it is, or sounds to be from this podcast, insanely complex. Possibly literally insanely.
To give an example from the podcast there are 25 different ways to say “and” in Lojban.
In the sentence “John and Mary carried the box” there is one word for “and” if we mean together and a different word for “and” if we mean alternately. A third word is used in “John and Mary are friends.” where it means that considered jointly they are friends.
The language, quite frankly, sounds nuts.

I was intrigued enough that I shall be reading more about it later. Lojban as such wasn't the main point of interest for me. That came a few minutes from the end when I discovered that there is a Lojban translation of Alice In Wonderland. Of course I had to check if I could find one. And find one I did.

Here is the opening paragraph. To me it doesn't even look like a language, it looks like an especially complicated cipher.

quote:

“1 ni’oni’o pamo’o mo’ini’a le ractu kevna
no’i la alis co’a tatpi le nu zutse le rirxe korbi re’o le mensi gi’e zukte fi noda
i abuboi so’uroi sutra zgana le cukta poi le mensi cu tcidu i ku’i cy vasru no
pixra ja nuncasnu i lu ji’a ma prali sei la alis pensi fi lo cukta poi vasru no
pixra ja nuncasnu li’u
i abu ca’o menli jdice to sekai le xagrai selka’e pe va’o le nu le glare djedi
cu rinka le nu abu lifri le nu sipydji je bebna toi le du’u xukau le nu pluka fa
le nu zbasu lo xrula linsi cu se vamji le raktu poi nu sa’irbi’o gi’e crepu loi
xrula icabo suksa fa le nu lo blabi ractu poi xunblabi se kanla cu bajra zo’a
abu
i la’e di’u no’e ba’e mutce le ka cizra ijenaiji’a la alis jinvi le du’u ba’e
mutce le ka nalfadni kei fa le nu tirna le nu le ractu cu sezysku lu oiro’a
oiro’a mi lerci li’u to baku ca le nu abu pensi la’e di’u kei abu ri te sidbo le
du’u ei ri abu cizra i ku’i caku piro ri simlu le ka rarna toi i ku’i ca le nu le
ractu ca’a lebna lo junla le kosta daski gi’e catlu jy gi’e di’a sutra kei la alis
spaji sa’irbi’o ki’u le nu lindi pagre le abu menli fa le si’o abu pu noroi viska
lo ractu poi ponse lo kosta daski a lo junla poi ry ke’a dy ka’e lebna i bai
le nu kucli kei abu bajra pagre le foldi gi’e jersi ry gi’e u’adai viska le nu ry
canci mo’ine’i lo barda ke ractu kevna noi cnita le spabi’u
i baziku la alis mo’ine’i jersi ry gi’e noroi pensi le du’u ta’i ba’e makau
abu ba za’ure’u bartu”

Who'd have thought that randomly listening to an old podcast would find me such a strange new version of my lifelong obsession.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
A small correction - Lojban, it seems, isn't actually the modern name for Loglan, it's another language developed from the same principles. Info can be found on Wikpediia.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Root words in Lojban are supposedly derived (by formula) from the 5 top languages in the world. Chinese throws a kind of wrench into the works. Lojban is one of the least interesting auxiliary languages I have run across.

I heard the Loglan-Lojban schism was caused by a copyright dispute. The two roots in both language names are "logical" plus "language".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Bob, you've been duped. While the story is about Alice, it is the Hawaiian equivalent of "Debbie Does Dallas" --"Alice Does Oahu."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I had no idea that you were fluent in Lojban, proof. That makes you very special.
But we all knew that already.

<Proofreader>
posted
I totally agree, said he, modestly.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check to see if Shu has heard that podcast. He really likes Lexicon Valley. Do you have a link for that particular one, Bob?

Could you figure out that passage from Alice in Wonderland?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
http://www.slate.com/articles/...to_be_supremely.html

And no, of course not. I don't think it would be possible to just "figure out" a lojban text as, in addition to the text it includes metatext bracketing functions that indicate how the text is to be understood... more like a computer programming language.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Q: How many Lojban speakers does it take to change a broken light bulb?
A: Two. One to work out what to change it into and one to figure out what kind of bulb emits broken light.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post