Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arrogance Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
In preparing to host Shu and Kalleh, I of course (as mentioned elsewhere) went to a reknowned beer shop and purchased what seemed to be a nice assortment of special brews. One that we have all enjoyed provides a definition. So this is really a WORD post, not a BEER post. Wink

Arrogant Bastard Ale "You're not worthy"
ar-ro-gance (ar' o gans) n. the act or quality of being arrogant; haughty; undue assumption; overbearing conceit.

Arrogant Bastard Ale; this is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory - - - maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.
. . .
Questions or comments? If you don't like this beer, keep it to yourself -- we don't want to hear from any snivelling yellow-beer-drinkin' wimps, 'cause this beer wasn't made for you.

"Keep Refrigerated Numbskull!"

www.arrogantbastard.com

And RE? You will also be interested in this link.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I've not tried Arrogant Bastard although I'm told it's available here. I have heard good reports of it, though. The OBBD http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/ gives it 7.5 out of 10 and talks of its "relentless bitterness" which leads me to believe it's more like an IPA than a light ale.

I must try a bottle.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I have to tell you, we were laughing so hard over the labelling that I could barely type it coherently. As I said, I purchased some of the beers just for their great names. Last night Ken tried the Old Leghumper Robust Porter. It is made by Thirsty Dog Brewing Company in Maryland. It was very good, too, but you might not be able to get it over there.

Also, if you go to the Arrogant Bastard site, and click on the Do Not Accept at the bottom of the Warning page . . . try clicking on each word of that phrase - each word gives a different result.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Caterwauller,

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
Have you seen this one...from another forum?
Amsterdam was hosting a conference of beer producers. At the end of the day, the presidents of all beer companies retired to the bar for a drink.

As the waiter approaches, the president of Budweiser calls out, "I'all have the best beer in the world. Give me 'The King Of Beers', a Budweiser."

Adolph Coors says, "Bring me a Coors, the only beer made with Rocky Mountain spring water."

"I'll have a Miller Genuine Draft," says the president of Miller.

Arthur Guinness down and says, "Give me a Coke, please." The other brewery presidents look over at him in amazement. "Why aren't you drinking a Guinness?" "I'd love to," says Mr. Guinness, "but I figured if you guys aren't drinking beer, neither would I."

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
When Kalleh and Shu were packing their car today, I told Nancy to please take the Arrogant Bastard with her. Then I said "You can take this bottle of beer, too." Hehehe - we all laughed.

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

"Keep Refrigerated Numbskull!"

So did you keep the refrigerated numbskull, or did you get rid of him? Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I think I sent him home with Kalleh! I made Shu walk through the snow with me to see a topiary garden of Afternoon on la Grande Jatte and I don't think his toes ever got warm after that. Poor guy.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Amnow, that is just hilarious, and, no, I hadn't heard it. I am sure that Richard will love it! Wink

What I truly loved about the Arrogant Bastard (what a name!) was that it was so sarcastic about beers like Bud and Coors and Miller. It made these snide remarks about "yellow fizz." I can only think that Richard was their advertisement consultant! Big Grin

BTW, I am drinking it now, as I indicated in my Community post, and hoooooo...it is strong. It tastes very much like some of the really good British ales.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh, about thrity years ago here in Oregon, there was a small brewery that poked fun at Schlitz, Bud, and Miller by calling it by the collective name, "Schludwiller." Big Grin I think that's a good aptronym for generic US swill!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "...I am sure that Richard will love it!
..."

It's a very good story and one which I had heard before in other guises. I first heard it told of Sam Smith and John Smith, who were going to the funeral of their old friend and business rival, Joshua Tetley.

John said to Sam, "We're a little early - why don't we have a pint before we bid farewell to our old friend Joshua?"

And Sam said, "That's a good idea - I'll tell you what, there's a John Smith's house over the road. Let's have one there.

As they were drinking their pints, John Smith said to Sam, "You know, Sam, we've not always seen eye to eye in the past and I want you to know how much I appreciate your drinking Joshua's health in a John Smith pub."

To which Sam replied, "Well, John, you know how I have always admired and respected Joshua Tetley and I just felt that it wouldn't be right to go to his funeral smelling of strong drink!"

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post