Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Information Literacy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Information Literacy Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was reading an article today about "information literacy." It was defined as the set of abilities that enables one to recognize when information is needed and to have the ability to locate, evaluate, and use effectively the information. It went on to recommend that "information literacy" should become a new "liberal art," as fundamental as grammar is to language.

Do you use this phrase? What I like about it is that it goes way beyond "computer literacy" or "Internet skills" in that it focuses on the need for appraisal of the material, and it assumes a good search strategy.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Maybe "information literacy" is the right word for it.

Down home we always called it "common sense."

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
But that is a very uncommon commodity.

Actually I like the concept of information literacy and consider that I am one who is "informationally literate"

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think it is very easy to get "taken in" by the Web, especially if one does not read critically, nor even know how to read critically. We discussed this in this excellenct thread last December.

Therefore, I too like the term "informationally literate" because it has a connotation of critically appraising the information, as well as knowing how to obtain it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post