Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Michael Quinion on BBC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michael Quinion on BBC Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Michael Quinion, of World Wide Words fame, will be featured on the BBC Radio 4 programme Word of Mouth that goes out on 26 December at 4pm GMT. You will be able to hear it online a little later by going to the BBC site and clicking on the “Listen to the latest edition” link.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notice, Arnie!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I have just listened to the broadcast online. It was quite interesting and covered various word-related topics. Michael Quinion only appeared for about five minutes at the end of the (half-hour) show talking about plurals - datum, data; medium, media; die, dice; etc. Well worth a listen.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Thanks, arnie. A pleasure to listen to a popular radio show on language that simply stated the facts sans the invented controversies. I particularly liked the first segment on skip rats (dumpster divers in the US); freegans (of whom I had heard); and windrow, which meaning has changed from my days on the farm (where it is a row of cut hay) to its use in the UK recycling vocabulary (where it is a row of composted material). Quinion gave a measured and calm statement of the facts on irregular plurals in English.

[Corrected skiff to skip. Thanks, arnie.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
skiff rats

Actually, that's skip rats. What you call a dumpster in the States we call a skip.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I, too, was slightly surprised by their use of windrow to describe a long row of composting material, turned over by large tractors. I note the last line of the short Wikipedia article zmj cites says "Windrows are often used in large scale vermicomposting systems." Presumably that is the use referred to.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am going to listen to it this weekend when I have a little more time. I just love Quinion, though. Of all the online discussions about words, I find his the most reliable, comprehensive and up-to-date.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post