Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    in defense of common english
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

in defense of common english Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
Ben Yagoda, author of When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better and/or Worse, has had a piece published by [i]The Chronicle Review[i] called "In Defense of Common English" (link).
quote:
Not long ago, I took part in a panel discussion at the Free Library of Philadelphia. My fellow panelists were two linguists and a lexicographer. Anyone who knows any linguists and lexicographers will be unsurprised to hear that their position on usage was descriptive rather than prescriptive: They were interested in charting and interpreting recent and historical changes in the way English is written and spoken, not interested in labeling those changes as "mistakes," and even less interested in decrying such so-called errors as evidence of a decline in American civilization.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, z. I have begun to see that prescriptivists are more like technicians...putting everything in its place; all is black or white. On the other hand, descriptivists seem much more scholarly because they have to go back into history to see how words were used long ago, and then how they've changed.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post