Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Quotable Quotes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quotable Quotes Login/Join

posted
...for Embellishment smile

"The art of listening needs it highest development in listening to oneself; our most important task is to develop an ear that can really hear what we're saying."

"The most important thing in an argument, next to being right, is to leave an escape hatch for your opponent, so that he can gracefully swing over to your side without too much apparent loss of face."

"If something is not worth doing, it's not worth doing well."

"When I hear somebody sigh that life is hard, I am always tempted to ask, compared to what?"

~~the late Sidney Harris, former columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times

posted Hide Post
"Dog...the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself." ~~Josh Billings

(for Babee)

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed Beauty without Vanity, Strength without Insolence, Courage without Ferocity, and all the Virtues of Man without his Vices. This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery, if inscribed over human ashes, is but a just Tribute to the Memory of BOATSWAIN, a Dog.

John Cam Hobhouse (1786 ­ 1869), British statesman. Inscription on the monument raised for Lord Byron's dog, Boatswain, and sometimes mis-attributed to Byron

[for Babee]

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you....

Babee was my parents beloved dog, who passed away yesterday.

"A friend is one who knows all about you, and loves you just the same" ~~ Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Mark Twain, and what he had to say about April 1st: "It is the day upon which we are reminded of what we are on the other 364." big grin

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
With the Enron and Worldcom problems in people's minds, this is apposite:

Nothing is illegal if one hundred businessmen decide to do it.
-- Andrew Young
frown

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

posted Hide Post
"A thousand words will not leave so deep an impression as one deed."

--Henrik Ibsen

Posts: 24 | Location: New York StateReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Reporter: "Mr Ghandi, what do you think of Western civilization?" Ghandi: "I think it would be a good idea."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much."

Mother Teresa

[This message was edited by Morgan on Mon Aug 5th, 2002 at 11:30.]

posted Hide Post
i am sitting here teary eyed over Babee, whom i did not know. it is strange that i would write in the sugarplum topic about the nicknames i had for my dog whitby who passed new years day 1994. i offer this little poem for Babee:

High up in the courts of Heaven today
a little dog-angel waits:
with the other angels he will not play,
but he sits alone at the gates.

norah mary holland
the little dog-angel.

Posts: 166 | Location: pointssouth, u.s.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, thank you wild! That was so nice of you.

"That best portion of a good man's life, his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love."

~~William Wordsworth

posted Hide Post
if you meant that wordsworth quote about me that makes me feel very good.

posted Hide Post
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."

~~Helen Keller

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Tragedy is when I hurt my thumb. Comedy is when you fall in a manhole and die

--- Mel Brooks

posted Hide Post
"@*#&$!"

-Coyote

*Acme products.r

posted Hide Post
...For the Roadrunner who has everything!".

posted Hide Post
"The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitudes towards them."

~~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Somewhere here someone quoted the alleged US President (You know, the one who wasn't elected, but got the job anyway?) saying some stupid things. I can't find that thread, so I'll post this here: "If you have good forest policy, it will yield to a better economy." Dubya, in Portland, Obfuscation - er, Oregon, 22 August, 2002. confused

posted Hide Post
Looking at Bartleby.com for something today, I found this as the quote of the day:

"The biggest disease today is not leprosy or tuberculosis, but rather the feeling of being unwanted." --Mother Theresa

posted Hide Post
A little rule, a little sway,
A sunbeam in a winter’s day,
Is all the proud and mighty have
Between the cradle and the grave.

-- John Dyer (1700?–1758)

posted Hide Post
The debt of gratitude we owe our mother and father goes forward, not backward. What we owe our parents is the bill presented to us by our children.

~~Nancy Friday

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In keeping with several other threads at the moment:

Give me a woman that loves beer and I can conquer the world.
-- Kaiser Wilhelm

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza!
-- Dave Barry

Why is American beer served cold? So you can tell it from urine!
-- David Moulton

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
This board is definitely gambrinous, arnie. eek

In that same rich vein is Groucho Marx' comment in the film Monkey Business:

"You call this a party? The beer is warm, the women are cold, and I'm hot under the collar."

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Fifth Law of Procrastination:

Procrastination avoids boredom; one never has the feeling that there is nothing important to do.

posted Hide Post
From our Sunday paper cooking section:

"There is in every cook's opinion
No savoury dish without an onion,
But lest your kissing should be spoiled
The onion must be thoroughly boiled."

~~Jonathan Swift

[This message was edited by Angel on Tue Sep 17th, 2002 at 13:08.]

posted Hide Post
"When a child is born...
so is a Grandmother."

posted Hide Post
"I have great hopes that
we shall love each other
all our lives as much as if we
had never married at all"

~~Lord George Byron

posted Hide Post
Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin" and "Keep away from children"

--Author Unknown

"Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house,"

--Rod Stewart

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I'm still catching up on some of these threads. Wordnerd's post of Sept 5th brought to mind a similar sounding little ditty:

A little song,
A little dance,
A little seltzer
Down my pants.

Can anyone identify the person to whom this was a personal slogan? Double credit if you can also relate the unusual way in which he died.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A little song,
A little dance,
A little seltzer
Down my pants.

Can anyone identify the person to whom this was a personal slogan? Double credit if you can also relate the unusual way in which he died.

Chuckles the Clown on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. He died when he dressed as a peanut for a parade, and an elephant..well...how to say this gingerly..."deshelled" him. wink

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Very good, Angel. You got it in one.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, going through my graemlins for other posts, I couldn't help but spot this one, which I felt was so very appropriate for the above couple of comments!

posted Hide Post
"He who has an opinion of his own, but depends on the opinion and tastes of others is a slave."

- Klopstock

Posts: 113 | Location: Minnesota, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"He who...
Oh, now I get it! For years I thought that some Chinese guy wrote nearly all the proverbs -
Hee Hu! confused

Thanks for setting me straight. Kinda like how Shakespeare has been accused of using way too many cliches, I guess.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LadyBeth:
"He who has an opinion of his own, but depends on the opinion and tastes of others is a slave."

- Klopstock

Great quote. And appropriate. Welcome aboard.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon, but its echo lasts a great deal longer."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

posted Hide Post
"When I was a boy, the Dead Sea was just sick."
-George Burns

posted Hide Post
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for "doesn't hunt well."

Paul Harvey

posted Hide Post
"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you."

-- Winnie the Pooh