Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    strange plurals inside the wordhoard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

strange plurals inside the wordhoard Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
Whenever I use the plural of "one", I find myself wondering out loud: "what would my friendly neighborhood prescriptivist say?"

For example: "Which party chips should I buy? Get some of the triangular ones."

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see where the issue arises, but there is a logical explanation for it. In this case, "one" is being used as a pronoun, not its normal meaning. "Which one do you want? That one." "Which ones do you want? Those ones." I don't see a way to ask the latter question without "Which of those do you want?", which is more verbose.

In my head, I liken this to "It is raining." The prescriptivists don't complain that "it" doesn't refer to anything! It is just a strange artifact of the language.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This word "one" is really an interesting one, isn't it?

Listen to what the usage note says correct grammar is:

1) "He is one of those people who just don't take 'no' for an answer."

2) "The sports car turned out to be one of the most successful products that were ever manufactured in this country."

In the latter one, only 42% of the usage panelists accepted the singular verb! I think both those sentences sound odd with the plural verbs.

I don't know about those usage panelists! Razz

There is one caveat, though: "The fraction rule has an exception in that amounts are sometimes treated as singular entities: One and a half cups is enough sugar."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
There are two possible grammars for these constructions. The relative clause can attach to either the noun phrase (NP) headed by 'one' or the NP below it that 'one' is choosing one from. So:

[one of those people]
[one of those people] who doesn't...

or:

[those people who don't...]
one of [those people who don't]

Now I think I'd accept the first kind, with singular verb agreeing with 'one', but it's much more natural to me to use the second kind, plural agreeing with 'people'. After all, it's all the people specified who (do whatever), and you're picking out one of those: you're not just picking out the one who does that thing. It would have to be singular if you were just picking out one:

[the only one of those people] who doesn't...

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Get some of the triangular ones."

Strange to say, in this context 'one' is a noun, not a pronoun. Dictionaries will usually call it a pronoun, but its grammar is entirely that of a noun: the triangular thing, the triangular one, *the triangular yours; my things, my ones, *my these.

It is however a pronoun, or at least more like a pronoun, in 'one of them is triangular'. It can still probably take some specifiers (?'my one of them is...', ?'this one of them...') but it can't take adjectives: *my triangular one of them.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*head explodes*

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which brings up another point, what is the head of the noun phrase, "the triangular ones"? Ok, so it is "ones".

When you say, "Which highly complicated noun phrase do you want me to get?", you answer "That one". For the plural question, is there any easier way to say "Those ones"? For example, you could say "Those few", but that only works for a small amount. "That bunch" or "That group" seems to be imply the items are related, which might not be the case. To me "ones" implies a group of objects which are unrelated.

Of course, I realize if you ask the same question, I could say, "The blue ones", at which point, my whole hypothesis goes out the window. I think the only answer possible is that this is a highly specified construction in the English language. For example, "my blue ones" and "your blue ones" are fine, but "my ones" and "your ones" aren't right at all, you have to say "mine" and "yours".

This is pretty interesting, take "my one" and put it together and you get pretty close to "mine". To further interestify me, I find both the indefinate article an and one comes from Old English an. This linguistic artifact could very well explain this whole mess. I'll have to write more later, as I am ending this post without conclusion.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I see "that's mine" and "that's my one" as both being legitimate constructions with different shades of meaning.

A child in a pet shop pointing at puppies in a box might say "that's mine" claiming ownership of the puppy in question or "that's my one" saying in effect that all the others belong to someone else. The former construction allows the possibility that the child might own another puppy as well. The latter does not.

The same argument could then be extended to "those are mine" and "those are my ones".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
"It is raining."

Yes, I love it!

Another thing I like is cataphora:

"Because they were rigid, Jenny found grammar mavens unhelpful in most of the interesting cases."

"If you need one, there’s a towel in the top drawer."

"Xerxes absolutely hated it. Darius had given him the wrong dictionary."

"A friend of hers went shopping with Jeanne."

"It hurt him when Maria lied to John."

Anaphora: pronouns refer back to some antecedent noun.

Cataphora: pronouns refer forward to some noun yet to be mentioned.

[Fixed text to make it closer to my original intended sense, and corrected an egregious typo.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Is "it is raining" really cataphora? The "it" doesn't point to anything.

posted Hide Post
... there is a logical explanation for it. In this case, "one" is being used as a pronoun, not its normal meaning. "Which one do you want? That one." "Which ones do you want? Those ones."

Go back 3 spaces, as they say in Monopoly.

"Those ones" is certainly awkward, and this awkwardness is resolved by realizing that even as "one" is a pronoun in this context, so is "Those." In which case - it being not an adjective - there is nothing to follow it and agree in number. The reply to "Which ones do you want?" is simply "Those." (Please don't ask me how to parse "Those three"...)

Posts: 6269 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is "it is raining" really cataphora? The "it" doesn't point to anything.

I am sorry if I implied that. I didn't mean to. Perhaps it should be called ouphora?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The "it" doesn't point to anything.

While it doesn't sound right, when I hear "it is raining," I think of the weather. But "the weather is raining" of course isn't correct.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've thought extensively on this, and there doesn't appear to be anything that fits well into this sentence. "The sky is raining"? Also, think "it is time for bed". What is time for bed. Of course, "time for bed" is perfectly grammatical, but "Is raining", while understandable, seems ungrammatical and "It's raining" is just as easy to say.

Then you have "it's pouring" and "it's drizzling". The it in those cases is the rain. Otherwise, the it seems to be pointing to the general state of things.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
For the Romans, it was Jove / Jupiter who was raining: Iuppiter pluit.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
For the Romans, it was Jove / Jupiter who was raining: Iuppiter pluit.

Perhaps that explains why he rains in French, too.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Jupiter: when it rains, he reigns.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
when I hear "it is raining," I think of the weather. But "the weather is raining" of course isn't correct.

The low pressure area above us (it) is raining.

OEDILF had a limerick which said (paraphrase) if your teeth fall out, you'll get a new set and you can bite with "those ones". I say the "ones" is unnecessary and merely seems an improper progression from "that one"(singular) to "those (or these) ones" (plural). Some say "ones" is needed to show which (out of group) you want. But in both cases (with and without the word), a physical demonstration, such as pointing, would have to be done by someone to illustrate your choice. So "ones" seems superfluous.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might be superfluous, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. After all redundancy is a feature of language.

<Proofreader>
posted
OK, poor word choice. The question is, would you use the phrase in a formal setting, such as an essay? Or is it restricted to less formal usage?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good question. I don't know. There are certainly enough people complaining about it online. I was surprised that it doesn't have an entry in Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage.