Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Heard in passing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heard in passing Login/Join

posted
I was driving home today and was listening to the radio. A woman who was being interviewed about the economy (or a related topic) said at one point "but the devils are in the details."

I'm going to use this the next time I am confronted with a problem whose details are particularly vexing to work out. Some of these problems have more than one devil in the details - they are not easy!

Posts: 42 | Location: New England, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am one who tends to get those adages/sayings mixed up, so I feel for her!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a fairly common expression, but one we too often forget! It fits nicely with Garrett Hardin's First Law of Ecology, which states "You cannot do only one thing."

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
My union president always said "We have to keep our focus on everything."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proof, you worked for Yogi Berra?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
"We have to keep our focus on everything."
Interesting use of the word focus. I put the phrase into Google and found several Canadian sites that use the phrase. Was your union president by any chance Canadian?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Was your union president by any chance Canadian?

Borderline Mongoloid.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post