Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    the claudian letters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the claudian letters Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
The Roman Emperor Claudius invented three new letters to add to the Latin alphabet. They never much caught on.
quote:
Besides this he invented three new letters and added them to the alphabet, maintaining that they were greatly needed; he published a book on their theory when he was still in private life, and when he became emperor had no difficulty in bringing about their general use. These characters may still be seen in numerous books, in the daily gazette, and in inscriptions on public buildings. (Suetonius Lives of the Caesars, Claudius c.41)
They, too, have made their way into Unicode: U-2132 {Ⅎ} and U-214E {ⅎ}, U-2183 {Ↄ} and U-2184 {ↄ}, U-2C75 {Ⱶ} and U-2C76 {ⱶ}.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to see what the letters look like? The Unicode markings on my screen are way too long for a letter.

This Claudius sounds a little bit like me with...well...you know the word. Instead of a book, I have a Blog. Now I just need to become an Emperor. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'd need a sex change in order to become an emperor, I think.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to see what the letters look like?

If you cannot see them in my opening post above, you can see an image of them in the Wikipedia article (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post