Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Share a book with Strangers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Share a book with Strangers Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
bookcrossing: n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.
(added to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary in August 2004)

That's from a fascinating site I just discovered, http://www.bookcrossing.com - The World's Biggest Free Book Club - Catch and Release Used Books. The site explains:
    Welcome to BookCrossing, where 600,813 people in over 130 countries come to share their passion for books with the world.

At BookCrossing, you can register any book you have on the site, and then set the book free to travel the world and find new readers. Leave it on a park bench, at a coffee shop, at a hotel on vacation -- anywhere it might find a new reader! Track the book's journey around the world as it is passed on from person to person.

Help make the whole world a library and share the joy of literacy.

members: 600,816
    books registered: 4,307,482
    good karma: priceless
Whoever finds the book can contact the site, and you'll be sent an email letting you know where your book has gone.

I'm looking forward to trying it!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
There's another site called Book Mooch.

[Fixed typo to cunctate seizures.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We discussed this a couple of years ago here.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, and when we discussed it for some stupid reason I joined the site. I kept getting email after email from them, even when I'd click the link for stopping them. I think I am finally rid of them. Sign up only if you're very interested!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post