Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Russia's endangered languages
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russia's endangered languages Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
According to this article, many of Russia's minority languages are endangered. This is particularly true in the North Caucasus region near Sochi where more than 40 languages are spoken. I had no idea! One of them, Ubykh, which gave Sochi its name (Sochi is Ubykh for "seaside"), is already extinct.

The languages in the Caucasus region sound quite complex:
quote:
All the Caucasian languages are highly complex in grammar and syntax, with up to 81 consonants, sounds articulated in many different parts of the mouth (the Dagestani languages use 11 parts of the mouth as opposed to the usual five), and widely varied case systems, according to McMaster University linguist John Colarusso, who has been studying them since the ’60s.
Eleven parts of the mouth, compared to five? I am trying to figure out the five parts.

The Caucasian languages also remain very unique, rather than developing similar attributes which languages from neighboring regions usually do (referred to as "areal linguistics").

It's a very interesting read, particularly with the Olympics in Sochi.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agul is spoken in Dagestan, and it is one of the few languages to have epiglottal consonants.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread! I found some 'epiglottal consonants' pronounced here:
voiced epiglottal fricative
b vd epiglottal plosive

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I found some 'epiglottal consonants' pronounced here:voiced epiglottal fricativeb vd epiglottal plosive

Do not be concerned. I have called for Rescue for that choking man.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great links, Bethree! It's so hard to read about the sounds; you really need to hear them.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:

If Russia is so concerned with gays, why are men complaining that the lacy underwear is not available, too? Is cross-dressing the next subject for legislative action?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
Interesting thread! I found some 'epiglottal consonants' pronounced here:
voiced epiglottal fricative

The info for this video says this sound is found in Arabic, but it isn't. I'm not convinced that the audio matches the IPA in the video.