Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    semantic saturation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

semantic saturation Login/Join

posted
After saying "Wikipedia" so often that I forgot what I was looking for, I happened on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_satiation

Does this work for political ads? Might less be better? Also for cars and candy bars? Can we really talk ourselves into forgetting what we were talking about?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I can't say that's ever happened to me. Have others experienced it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
It's akin to walking into a room containing a particular odor, say, of flowers, and then staying there for awhile and not noticing the odor after awhile. As kids, we used to play with this by picking a word, any word, and repeating it over and over again 40 or 50 times until it just started to sound like nonsense, which made us giggle.

Maybe kids were weird in Cincinnati in the '50s. I don't know.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:

Yes. Yes, they were.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wordmatic

Maybe that's why the wonderful TV sitcom, "WKRP in Cincinatti" took place there. The whole cast , save one, was weird - and I loved it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKRP_in_Cincinnati

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
:-)

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Kids are always weird. That's what I love about them.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really young kids are seldom weird; they're simply honest and curious. Weirdness is mostly learned behavior.