Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Religious vs. Spiritual
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religious vs. Spiritual Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am using these words wrong? I tend to think of "religious" as meaning pertaining to or believing in a religion or some kind of Supreme Being. Yet, "spiritual" to me is more general. Though, to me, "spiritual" is not necessarily being "religious," I can't really put its meaning into words. When I look at the dictionary.com definitions, they seem to define "spiritual" more like "religious," with such definitions as:

"Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul. Of, from, or relating to God; deific. Of or belonging to a church or religion; sacred"

I see "spiritual" as being more far-reaching than "religious." That is, I think one can be "spiritual," even though he is not "religious." Do you agree?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

I see "spiritual" as being more far-reaching than "religious." That is, I think one can be "spiritual," even though he is not "religious." Do you agree?

Yes. I think it's perfectly possible to be both agnostic (or even atheistic) and spiritual.

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So, then, Bob, how would you define "spiritual?" The dictionaries don't seem to help me at all, though I haven't looked at OED. This seems to be one of these words where its use is different than its definition, unless I just am using it wrong.

Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
If I may jump in?

To me, spiritual is a feeling of oneness? An idea that all of us are a part of something larger than everyday life.

Religious is that same idea, though I see it as being more confined? Religion is spirituality within the confine of a certain dogma.

If I had to make my own definition, in this context, it would be that religious IS spiritual--with certain rules.

You know, I had a pet peeve once? But my karma ran over it. Razz

Posts: 222 | Location: TexasReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:

You know, I had a pet peeve once? But my karma ran over it.

That was my dogma that your karma ran over !! Razz

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, WinterBranch, I agree with you. However, I just don't see that connotation in the dictionaries.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I've always seen sprituality as representing one's belief system in regards to how one connects with any or all aspects of the universe while the world of the religious deals with the rules and traditions attached to the observance of the above.

"We are all inter-connected" = spirituality

"If you want to come in to say this you have to have a shirt and tie, no mumbling in the back pews, audience participation will be strictly limited to pre-written litanies, and how about ponying up a few bucks - 10% would be nice." = religion.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
But, CJ, have you seen it defined that way? After all, we can't just define a word as we think it should be used. Surely we've discussed that before!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
After all, we can't just define a word as we think it should be used. Surely we've discussed that before!

Sure we have. February 7, 2003.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
I don't see any huge difference between the words. The words are different, have different sounds and arouse different images, but there is an underlying similarity to their meanings. Personally, I would add superstitious as well, but I know that is not universally accepted - some Christians bixarrely imagine they are not superstitious.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now, Graham, you may have meant "bizarrely," though I did find 2 Google sites for "bixarrely."

However, I don't find it odd that one could be Christian and still not superstitious. How does one beget the other?

As far as the words "spiritual" and "religious," I find "spiritual" in a larger classification than "religious." In my mind, if you are religious, you are by definition spiritual; yet, if you are spiritual, you still may not be religious. I have just had a hard time pinpointing a good definition of spiritual.