Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Last year, a friend bought a new house and gave us a walk-through, proudly naming the rooms as we entered. "This is the Great Room", which we would call the 'dining room'. "Here is the "Master Suite", or 'large bedroom' as we knew it. And at the back of the house was the "Lanai".

I choked back a chuckle since we are many thousands of miles from Hawaii, and a forty-mile-an-hour cold wind was blowing rain against the windows over a barown lawn with bare trees under gray skies.

Does that room really qualify as a "lanai"?

Or did some sharp realtor claim another victim?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
If massive sailing vessels are "tall ships", what would qualify as a "short ship"? A kayak? A surfboard?

Why do they pronounce it KYE-ack? Based on the first syllable, shouldn't it be KYE-yike?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
If massive sailing vessels are "tall ships", what would qualify as a "short ship"? A kayak?

Some kayaks are fairly long - as long as canoes. And,being a palindrome, you can paddle one, or pronounce, in either direction. I used to own a sea kayak. Loads of fun crossing a power boat's wake at anything other than perpendicular, and wakes don't go that way.

As for "lanai," he mispronounced it. He meant, "lie." It's something salesmen are adept at, as are politicians.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose any porch could be called a lanai. Jerry would have loved it!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post