Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    short term
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

short term Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Something Brexity with a language focus!

How long, exactly, is "short term"?

Recently I have heard even the staunchest supporters of Brexit admitting that it will cause a "short term" recession in the UK. When pressed on the matter they say that it will "probably be no more than twenty or thirty years".
They also say that everybody knew this from the start and it's what the country wanted and voted for.

This is not my definition of "short term". And the country voted for no such thing as those same people were promising that we would get a great deal and would immediately head into the sunlit uplands of economic prosperity. These are actual phrases they used before the vote three years ago.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not my definition of short-term, either. Maybe, you could consider it to be so if you were looking at the entire history of of a civilization, but otherwise, no.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That is a ridiculous definition of "short-term," and they know it - everyone knows it!

I am so sick of the lying that goes on these days in politics. It sounds like it's no different in England than it is here in the U.S. For example, we are hearing from the White House that the new tariffs on China will cost them billions of dollars and that we'll be flowing in money. Why then are we paying farmers huge subsidies for their losses? And of course this is taxpayer money. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
That is a ridiculous definition of "short-term," and they know it - everyone knows it!

I am so sick of the lying that goes on these days in politics. It sounds like it's no different in England than it is here in the U.S. For example, we are hearing from the White House that the new tariffs on China will cost them billions of dollars and that we'll be flowing in money. Why then are we paying farmers huge subsidies for their losses? And of course this is taxpayer money. Roll Eyes

How true!

posted Hide Post

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post