Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Names of British beers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Names of British beers Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I know, "not another beer post?" they're saying. Well it has been awhile, and this did strike my funny bone! Big Grin

First, last Feb. CJ posted this:
quote:
No, for the record, there is no "Bulldog Drummond Beer." I made it up. I also made up "Hog's Butt 3972 Ale" which he didn't comment on so maybe there is such a thing. There are, after all, over 5,000 beers in the U.K. so maybe I got lucky and named one of them.

Now, fast forward to a few days ago. My assistant, knowing my new fondness for British ales, gave me a gift certificate to Chicago's best-known liquor store that carries a variety of beers and wines. So, I go there looking for bottle-conditioned beers British. I almost find CJ's "Hog's Butt!" It is called Salopian's "Entire Butt." We had quite a laugh over that one! Shufitz said, "Hon, would you like an "Entire Butt" tonight? The two runners up were RHC's "Ale Mary" and Cropton's "Monkman's Slaughter!" Remember, these are all bottle-conditioned, a rather small percentage of British beers. I wonder why their beer names are so funny! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
This is another of the words with several meanings, one of which is "a cask".

The word does not have its North American meaning of "buttocks" in the UK

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Of course, with so many beers to name and their being the need to diferentiate, a plethora of names is inevitable.

There is quite a tradition of using punning or otherwise "clever" names when entitling Britsih beers and you can find out the names of most of the World's bottled beer here: http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/

Some examples: Ash Vine, Hop & Glory; Badger Brewery, Tanglefoot; Brakspear, Bee Sting; Bridge of Allan, Sporran Warmer; Daleside Brewery, Old Legover; Exmoor Ales Ltd, Exmoor Beast Strong Ale; Freeminer Brewery, Deep Shaft Stout; Gibbs Mew, The Bishop's Tipple; Harviestoun, Numbskull Ale; Itchen Valley, Fagins Bottle Conditioned...and that's only as far as the I's!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
What! Ye hae not lived 'til ye hae savored Olde Frothingslosh, the stale pale ale so light that the foam was on the bottom!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, this isn't so funny, but it is a beer word! Amongst the English ales we purchased, we bought a Yorkshire Ale, called "Riggwelter." They had a dictionary definition of "Riggwelter" right on the bottle!

"Riggwelter: from the Old Norse, rygg - back and velte - to overturn. When a sheep is on its back and cannot get up without help, local dales dialect says its rigged or riggwelted."

Has anyone heard of that word?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Yes actually, I have. It was my older sister's nickname in college though she was always vague and evasive when I would ask her why...

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post