Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    A good day yesterday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good day yesterday Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
As I'm on half term I went for a walk in Wolverhampton yesterday and found one of their semi-regular book sales. For a total of £15 I picked up David Crystals "Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language", David Crystals "Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language" and the less academic but still quite entetaining "The Story of English".

An unexpectedly good book buying day.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
The books will, I trust, provide material from which you can start numerous good threads here? Smile

quote: I picked up David Crystals "Cambridge Encyclopedia ...", David Crystals "Cambridge Encyclopedia ... " and ... "The Story of English".
Interesting, that last title. It's by Crum, MacNeil, and Cran - but Crystal also wrote a book titled The Stories of English.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The last one is based on a TV series and is written by journalists rather than academics so I'm a little wary of it, but I'll give it a go.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I saw the series and it was rather good for an introduction to language. Robert MacNeil had a sequel that aired a while back which got good reviews, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the Story of English, although I prefer The Language Instinct . I just picked up Words and Rules at the library and it has been fascinating so far.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post