Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Vocabulary Quiz
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vocabulary Quiz Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
From the paper:
    You can now take a test to estimate the size of your vocabulary at www.plenilune.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vocabulary.asp.

Don't be discouraged by such early test words as dioecious, amphoprotic and apoidea.

You will soon be hitting such words as ostiarius and parthenocissus.

And, also, rehearsal and sternly, thank God.
A British site, unsurprisingly. Smile

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I noticed that some words or phrases occurred twice, and I wondered if they were evaluating reliability. Sometimes I waivered between "inferred" and "familiar." I found the genus and species words hard; were they really familiar? Or were they just inferred?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cute test of dubious value. If you take obscure words from a specialty, like biology, you seriously bias the test. I got a score of 116,217. Is that good or bad?

posted Hide Post
I got around 117,000, but I think that number is, to put it bluntly, crap. Many of the words were persons names who I'd never heard of, or random genera/phyla which only a biologist would know. Still, not knowing any of those, the number seems to be high.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
British bias. I saw several words that would be more familiar to a Brit than to a USn (Northumbia is the only one I recall), and the UK spelling of flavour.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think my score was around 113,000, but I also found it quite useless. The scientific words alone took up way too many of the words. I also think it unreliable just to have to say, "I understand the word."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post