Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    OED requests
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OED requests Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I found this OED appeal today. Too bad "epicaricacy" isn't there. I think we could give them some data on that word! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to see that the OED is considering including the oxymoronic term "quad bike". I trust they will fully explain its unnecessary and illogical formation.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Kalleh - there is an email addy for submissions - why not send in what you have?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW:
I wrote to Jesse S. some time ago regarding new entries into OED (including epicaricacy). His response was that, generally speaking, OED are out of the mode of listing every word that was ever used anywhere, or maybe only found once in an olde dictionary (like Bailey). The current thinking is that in order to make the grade as a new entry, a word must be found *in print* in multiple citations of some minimal and catholic nature. (web words not in general print usage need not apply.)

OTOH, I've heard the rumo(u)r that epicaricacy is going to make it in, so perhaps it has found its way into print.

BTW, I read somewhere, perhaps in Winchester's book on the making of the OED, that the reason the online OED started making updates at MNO was that they didn't want to build their learning curve into the ABC section, adding to the original's weakness(!) in that area.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
OTOH, I've heard the rumo(u)r that epicaricacy is going to make it in, so perhaps it has found its way into print.

Yes, I've heard that rumor, too. I just don't know how anyone could know that a word has never been used in a book, especially when they are talking about such a long time ago. I suspect that if "epicaricacy" ever does get into the OED, they will have a note saying, "Because of the constant nudging of Kalleh, we felt compelled to include this non-word." Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>Interesting that you received a reply..

well, I see this comment didn't make the grade.
; )

what I would have said in reply to that:
I've been an irregular correspondent of Jesse's since his Random House "Jesse's Word of the Day" days. now that he's NA Editor of OED, I'm lucky if he finds the time to write a one line reply to my importunities.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsuwm: BTW, I read somewhere, perhaps in Winchester's book on the making of the OED, that the reason the online OED started making updates at MNO was that they didn't want to build their learning curve into the ABC section, adding to the original's weakness(!) in that area.
Correct as to both content and source. Since my reading of that book was recently, I was able to find it in ch. 6 ftn 8: "[The revisors] feared that any hesitancy that they might display in their early work should not be allowed to compound any of Murray's perceived hesitancy that he admitted was a small problem with A. They began instead with M."

posted Hide Post
OED "requests help"? yeah, sure

I'm a bit put off by OED's call for help.

Quite some time ago I brought it to their attention that their etymology for "political football" was wrong. I gave them a cite 80 years before their earliest, and in the US rather than their solely-Commonwealth cites.

I received back a form e-mail. Apparently no human being had bothered to read what I sent them.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Why don't you try again? I have found them to be good correspondents and things, especially emails, do have a way of going astray.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post