Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    From NBC News
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From NBC News Login/Join

posted
Britain appoints 'minister for loneliness' to tackle social isolation

Let me guess: Elenor Rigby?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Let me guess: Elenor Rigby?

Or her cousin Eleanor.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or just Lenore if you're a lonely Poe lover.

<Proofreader>
posted
Nevermore.

posted Hide Post
Then there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2ViNJFZC8 Makes one feel that the tax money paid by UK citizens is being spent none too wisely, n'est-ce-pas? Here in the USA, we have a Congress of silly notions and an extremely, reactionarily White House funded entirely by kickbacks from Wall Street. No taxes involved! See how superior we are?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Geoff. Here is an article about it. It's kinda sad, really. I guess that might be one good thing about our president - we are all commiserating together about it!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Speaking of our "President," I found this quote by one of Illinois' representatives to be hilarious:

"We don't live in a dictatorship or a monarchy. I swore an oath—in the military and in the Senate—to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, not to mindlessly cater to the whims of Cadet Bone Spurs and clap when he demands I clap." The "President" had said the Democrats were treasonous for not applauding during the state of the union address.

For background, Tammy lost both her legs in Iraq in 2004. She recently was elected to the House of Representatives. She's a keeper!

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Cadet Bone Spurs

Inspired the Stephen Colbert spoof which is posted in Jokes.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Tammy lost both her legs in Iraq

That's an odd way to put it. It implies she was careless, or absent-minded, or inconsiderate, or intentionally misplaced them.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I "put it" like the article did. She also calls him Draft Dodger Donald and Deceiver in Chief. She is on a roll! I think he must be seething. He will probably accuse her of not being from the U.S.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I "put it" like the article did.

I meant it's an oddity of the way we, as a people, discuss traumatic events like having limbs detached (which is more accurate).

posted Hide Post
In this case, evulsed would be more accurate, I think.

posted Hide Post
quote:
She also calls him Draft Dodger Donald and Deceiver in Chief.

I've often thought that, given his propensity to give everyone nicknames, Trump should have one. I like "Dipshit Donald." If you want to clean it up a bit you could substitute other "D" words, such as "Doofus." But I think, given his earlier remarks, "Shithole Donald" would be appropriate.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Give his defense of abusers recently and his reported offenses against women, I'd go for "Groper-n-Chief." The only problem is he might enthusiastically endorse it.

<Proofreader>
posted
Tonight the HuffPost had a story about a private Catholic school that fired a teacher the day she married her girl friend. The reporter said parents were upset since "she had taught their children to read and right."

Guess the reporter needs some remedial training. I know a teacher who's looking for work.

EDIT: Maybe the teacher was discussing literatture and ethics.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And where was this school located? I have a few guesses...

<Proofreader>
posted
Tiger Woods was assessing a long putt. The announcer said it was 34 feet and Woods had moved about ten feet further back to check his line. hen, in a fit of incredibility, the commentator said, "He's keeping a close eye on this shot." My question is: How can a position at least 40 feet away be considered "close"?

posted Hide Post
It’s figurative
I think it’s OED 19. a. Of examination, attention, etc.: Directed strictly and closely to the subject of consideration; strict, minute, searching.

1773 J. Priestley Inst. Relig. II. Pref. p. x Well worth the closest attention.

<Proofreader>
posted
I'm aware it's figurative. But there must be a limit on when the figurative becomes stupid.

posted Hide Post
I see nothing objectionable about “keep a close eye on” meaning “watch carefully”.

<Proofreader>
posted
Since Daylight Saving Time is now eight months long, does it now become Standard Time? Or does this make Standard Time Substandard?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Proof, as for "keeping a close eye" on something, I can see where a literalist like me would think that way. I suspect it is the word "close" that makes it confusing.

In my job we work with people from all over the country, in several different time zones (we work across the territories too). Therefore, I have given up on CST or CDT, and now just schedule meetings for Central time.