Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Funny headine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny headine Login/Join

posted
From Portland, Oregon: "Mayor, Fish float water panel proposal." Only in Portland would they consult the water's residents! Actually they meant city commissioner Nick Fish but hey, it's Portland, so maybe... Roll Eyes

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't even understand what they mean. Confused

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I don't even understand what they mean.

From what I know about leads and not having read the article, I assumed it meant that the Mayor of Portland and Commissioner Fish offered a water panel proposal for consideration. (Although I do not know the mayor by name, I have seen his cameo as the mayor's assistant in Portlandia.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhh - that makes more sense then. There's nothing like a local headline!

<Proofreader>
posted
This item from the This Is True website has to be the funniest stories this year.
***********************************************“I saw her light on and wanted to say hello,” Efren Carrillo told police. Carrillo’s girlfriend had just dropped him off at his Santa Rosa, Calif., home after a party and, he said, he saw his neighbor’s light on and went over for a drink. It was 3:30 a.m., and the frightened neighbor woman called police. Carrillo, a Sonoma County Supervisor, was arrested for attempted burglary and prowling, but that was reduced later to “peeking” into the neighbor’s window, a misdemeanor; he faces up to six months in jail. He has pleaded not guilty, and refuses to resign from office. It’s not just a simple misunderstanding, though. “It was a bad read,” he told police. “A misperception on my part.” Also, “In retrospect, I should have had my pants on.” (RC/Santa Rosa Press Democrat) ...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Big Grin In retrospect, I agree with him!

<Proofreader>
posted
After the circus accident in Providence, the local paper had a sub-headline

AERIAL ACTS SUSPENDED

to which I say, Yes, but not properly

posted Hide Post
I don't know why this made me think of Geoff. Geoff never does push-ups.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It wasn't in my neighborhood; I lived in Southeast, right across the street from the Jesuit novitiate. I can still hear the screams of the children...

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
That's a particularly useless photo with the article tinman linked to. It shows an empty street that could be anywhere. No sign of anyone, let alone naked or doing pushups. It looks rather like a screenshot from Google StreetView to me; I notice they haven't credited a photographer.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
That's a particularly useless photo with the article tinman linked to. It shows an empty street that could be anywhere.

Several months ago, the local TV station covered an accident between a car and a garbage truck. But they arrived long after the incident had been cleared, and no one was at the site. Still, they needed video for the evening news, so the reporter (off-camera) would identify each corner or segment of street "Here is where the truck exited the road and here is where the car was struck. By that lamp post is where they ended up. More at eleven." Total waste of tape.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a particularly useless photo with the article tinman linked to.
I so agree, arnie. Very weird. It's too bad they didn't get to the poor guy on time. He likely was drunk.

posted Hide Post
Here's more goofy Portlandish stuff: Now they're up in arms about monkeys going bald! http://www.oregonlive.com/heal...oss_among_orego.html

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Rhesus monkeys are valuable for medical research. I am surprised they treated them like that. There are ethical policies for handling animals for research.

posted Hide Post
The Oregon Regional Primate Research Center has had its hands slapped a few timer previously. By "primate," I thought that meant they used bishops or other church bigwigs. For Portland, it would make sense - kinda.

<Proofreader>
posted
Several years ago, one of the zoo staff had a copy of a letter from a primate group which was working to save gorillas (I think). The group sent their request for aid to every zoo world-wide and to any organization that might help in some way. The letter was a very cordial reply from an organization that said they would like to help, but the "Primates" in their letterhead referred to clergy, not wild life (although that's not to say some of the clergy weren't wild).

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I had not known "primate" means "clergy," too. However, I just looked it up and I found this, "Ecclesiastical . an archbishop or bishop ranking first among the bishops of a province or country." It also said an archaic meaning is a "chief or leader." Somehow, in this day and age, I'd think people would consider it an insult if you called them a "primate." Years ago, it must have been a compliment.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Primate" comes from the Latin primus, meaning "first", hence calling archbishops and the the like this. Don't forget that the biological order including both monkeys and humans is the primates; it can hardly be an insult to call someone human. Supposedly the order was so-named as humans and monkeys were considered the highest or "first" among the animals.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
While the subject is serious, the headline is ludicrous. The Houston Fox News TV affiliate had a headline:

Maya Angelou dead at age 86
Cancels Houston appearance on Friday

Was she prescient?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

posted Hide Post
Based on Texas religio-politics, lots of dead people show up at school board meetings.

As for "primate," "primer" is another related term that's commonly used in machinery. A "prime" (first) charge of fuel is shot into an engine's combustion chamber to enrich the air/fuel ratio for cold starting. It has nothing to do with priests or apes. Same with firearms. A Primer sets off the main powder charge in a shootin' iron's cartridges. Annnd, back when one got water from a well via hand pump, it was common to "prime" the pump. Remember those pumps on the ranch, Z?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny headline, Proof. It sounds like Houston and Fox News. Wink

<Proofreader>
posted
Or, as it's known, the Alternative History Channel.