Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The word that must not be spoken.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The word that must not be spoken..... Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Bet you couldn't guess that the word is "Olympic". Along with that word there is also "Summer", "Games", and any variation off them.

Here is the offical word from London on what you can and can't do if you have anything to do with "the-word-that-cannot-be-spoken."

I can understand that the organization is trying to protect its income but over the years they have tried to get the Olympic Auditorium in LA to change its name, since it has nothing to do with the games but firwst used the word berfore the trademark was registered. But, even though there is no prohibition in the PDF is linked to, the committee also is invoking sanctions against anyone who uses "summer" and/or "games" in advertising. That seems to go beyond their purview, doesn't it?

It also appears that the committee claims the right to prevent anyone from mentioning contest results without their permission, which also seems an overbroad reach.

Much more insidious is they don't have a category for "writing useless posts on word-related websites when there is plenty to do around the house." My wife says I'm a proven champion in that event.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Much more insidious is they don't have a category for "writing useless posts on word-related websites when there is plenty to do around the house." My wife says I'm a proven champion in that event.

I think I could challenge you for the gold in that event..

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I think I could challenge you for the gold in that event..

Sorry, no mixed contests.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Frankly I wish the whole stupid issue would be banned - or at least, its reports confined to only part of the media.

This morning I tried to find out what is going on in the world - but, so far as all the news channels are concerned, the only thing happening is the blessed Olympics. Even BBC World is reporting the Olympics - even though it is on most of the other news channels. I did check Al Jazeera but they weren't broadcasting news at the time (although neither - thank goodness - were they broadcasting the Olympics).

Maybe we will find our whether or not World War 3 has been declared, once the facile nonsense of unattractive sweaty bodies being paraded for the edification of a minority is finally over

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I was informed by my copyright and trademark expert that if a school advertises an event as a "Summer Sports Day" they will be (and have been) breaking the rules on what can and can't be said because both the words Summer and Sports appear in the B-list of proscribed words.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, as guardians of the Olympic rings, they've elected to make them chains of bondage?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had any reason at all to use one of the "forbidden" words I would do so just for the hell of it - and let them try to do something about it. I can't imagine any judge finding for anyone who tries to claim that someone can't put a sign up that says, say, "London 2012". You can't trademark a city name or a date.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Don't bet your fortune on it. Procedings have already begun against all sorts of people.

<Proofreader>
posted
Don't worry. The Olympics will come for YOU if you mess with their name. Ladies, take notice.

Shortly after writing the last, I came across a TV ad for this paint. Strange they haven't been warned to change their name since they don't seem to have an ******** committee seal of approval.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Don't bet your fortune on it. Procedings have already begun against all sorts of people.
Yes - but will they succeed? I have a great deal of faith in the commonsense of the English judiciary.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
http://www.nps.gov/olym/index.htm

http://www.northolympic.com/

Go north to Tinman's house and turn left. Up yours, London O-LIMP-ic commisars!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
Mind you, these places are in the USA and English judiciary doesn't extend outside the country. However, seeing what the US government is presently doing to prosecute foreigners who have supposedly broken its own laws, how long can it be before outher countries start to to the same?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comm...r-extradition-absurd

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Sure it's absurd, but then so is privatising that which used to be public. In other words, most of government is absurd. Most of business is absurd. Most of religion is absurd. Most of nationhood is absurd. Puck had it right about us being fools.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Sure it's absurd, but then so is privatising that which used to be public.

How about nationalising that which used to be private? Or is it just change that is absurd?

Change is unconfortable, of course - but if humankind is to survive it is essential.

"...It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change..." (Charles Darwin)

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Yes - but will they succeed? I have a great deal of faith in the commonsense of the English judiciary.

Feel free to try your luck.
Let me know how you get on. I await the results with interest.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It really surprises me that you can trademark every day words. I can understand trademarking an invented name, but this is ridiculous. I don't think that should be allowed.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I agree, Kalleh! I think it's pretty outrageous that the USOC can force small unrelated businesses to change their names, as cited in this article.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a case of legality stomping on ethics. To trademark a word for a specific purpose is one thing; to demand that nobody else use it is legal thievery. Just one more reason to pay no attention to these "games."

Richard, in response to your post above about nationalising that which used to be private, there are those who want to sell the air, the water, and the land which was there before we were. Nationalising that which was private is just the step beyond privatizing that which was public.

<Proofreader>
posted
The Daily Show did a segment last night about a man from Maine who wanted to host a "Redneck Olympics" in his state (about as far from 'redneck' as possible). The Olympic Committee (through a team of lawyers) warned him not to use the word, but to change it to "Redneck Games" instead. But that usage was already taken so he was reduced to calling his activity "Redneck Blank." Had some interesting games, such as the toilet seat toss (a horseshoes variant).