Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    oh "that" again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

oh "that" again Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
Under the heading 'faint praise for Obama and some advice', Jeb Bush to Charlie Rose:
quote:
Any time an elected official in the world we're in today that appears so dysfunctional challenges a core constituency not of their opponent but of their own political base, I think we should pause and give them credit," Bush said.
On first reading I thought he was calling Obama 'so dysfunctional'. This is spoken English, so awkward constructions can be overcome with tone and phrasing. Is there something 'wrong' with the sentence or is it just me?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
A comma after "dysfunctional" in L1, makes the whole paragraph much easier to understand.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
ah, that does it. He probably said it that way, but the transcription missed it.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Isn't it interesting that one tiny comma can make so much difference? Until I read it Richard's way, I had no idea what was meant.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
From news reports I've read about this interview, Bush was praising Obama for his handling of education policy. Yesterday on MSNBC, the commentators were remarking that Jeb Bush may say anything he likes, as he has decided not to run for office, or to accept the VP nomination if offered. One of them remarked that Bush, in backing off and speaking his mind, was doing so, because he "does not want to have to pay the crazy tax" that seems to be the requirement of this year's far right. Not that I'm looking forward to another six months of this palaver, but ol' Jeb sounds like an extremely reasonable soul. He wouldn't stand a chance right now.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post