Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Finally, the perfect duet!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally, the perfect duet! Login/Join

posted
Nothing to do with English, but I love it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUTQ6d7fL2U

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I have never really understood yodeling.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I have never really understood yodeling.

I have never really understood a lot of human behavior. I had always assumed that yodeling was simply another kind of (folk) singing.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The combination of two greatly disparate vocalizations is what struck me. I wonder if the same parts of the brain are engaged in either of them as is language?

I must admit that I like both yodeling and throat singing, and was fascinated by the combination!
Also I'm amazed that good throat singers can maintain two harmonics simultaneously. How do they do it!!!??? I can do one(poorly) but TWO??? OY!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
I don't know if this is the same singer from Geoff's but it's amazing what he can do. Bela Fleck is great, too. Did you ever hear classical music played on the banjo?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Did you ever hear classical music played on the banjo?

Not in Japan - "banjo" means "toilet."

<Proofreader>
posted
I've heard some profound notes sounded while there.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I always think the yodeler sounds like an auctioneer calling for bids, and expect him to end every song with SOLD!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I have had occasion to yodel for tp while on the banjo

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
WM, I was just thinking the same thing about auctioneers and yodelers. I suppose z is right that yodeling is just another kind of folk singing, but it sure doesn't sound like singing to me. But then neither does rapping.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Not in Japan - "banjo" means "toilet."

Well, 便所 ben jo - from the kanji meaning "convenience" and "room". Although a lot of the signs say お手洗い o te arai "hand washing".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,