Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Happy Birthday, Mayonnaise!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy Birthday, Mayonnaise! Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
On NPR today they had a tribute to mayonnaise because it celebrated its 250th birthday this summer.

Gen. Louis-Francois-Armand du Plessy, duc de Richelieu's chef made the sauce for him to celebrate France taking the island of Minorca from the British in June of 1756. It was named after Richelieu's point of attack, the port of Mahon...thus the name "Mahonaise."

Yet, others think it began as "moyeunnaise," derived from the old French word for egg yolk --"moyeu." Still others believe it was created in the French town of Bayonne, and was first called "bayonnaise."

Does anyone have any more information on how this word originated?

BTW, on the left side of that NPR link there was an interesting discussion saying that it's a wive's tale that leaving mayonnaise out will cause food poisoning. I have to say, I always thought that was true.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Best to refrigerate after opening, Kalleh.

Thanks for the information.

Some of your loyal readers thought you were leading into the old joke that explains those celebrations that are held in early May ...

... the one about the entire shipload of Mayonnaise that struck an iceberg and vanished.

"Sinko de Mayo."

But you didn't, and thanks for that.

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Etymology Online is doubtful about the Mahon theory, since the date first reported was 1807, some 50 years later than the sauce's supposed introduction.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Gen. Louis-Francois-Armand du Plessy, duc de Richelieu's chef made the sauce for him to celebrate France taking the island of Minorca from the British in June of 1756. It was named after Richelieu's point of attack, the port of Mahon...thus the name "Mahonaise."

Doubtful. The duc de Richelieu died in 1642. (This is incorrect. I was thinking of the older duc de Richelieu, the cardinal.)

I've heard the bayonnaise theory once or twice before.

[Added note to correct my mistaken notion.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Wikipedia has more on the origin of the name, including a couple of other theories. The same page suggests that, since home-made mayonnaise is usually made with raw unpateurised egg yolks, there is a danger of salmonella infection if left. Commercial products are usually pasteurised so the risk will be smaller.

BTW, according to Wikipedia again, the duc de Richelieu died in 1788. I assume you are thinking of his great-uncle, Armand Jean du Plessis de Richelieu, Cardinal-Duc de Richelieu. See this page, which also mentions his campaign in Minorca.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I assume you are thinking of his great-uncle, Armand Jean du Plessis de Richelieu, Cardinal-Duc de Richelieu.

Right you are, Arnie. My mistake.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The same page suggests that, since home-made mayonnaise is usually made with raw unpateurised egg yolks, there is a danger of salmonella infection if left.

Yes, of course anything with raw eggs can be in danger of giving you salmonella.
quote:
Best to refrigerate after opening, Kalleh.

Well, Jerry, the link to NPR said that it should be refrigerated so that it won't spoil. Spoilage, they said, would make it taste bad, but wouldn't make you sick. They said that vinegar is added to the mayonnaise so that bad bacteria won't produce food poisoning. I am going to this out in some of my nutrition textbooks. I thought mayonnaise being left out could cause food poisoing. Of course, I could be wrong, and God knows I've been wrong before. Roll Eyes

That link was interesting, Arnie. They seem to debunk the Mahon theory, which is the most common theory. The 1593 theory of being named after the Dude of Mayenne is an interesting, too. Is this one of those words where we'll never know the true etymology, do you think?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this one of those words where we'll never know the true etymology, do you think?
I'd guess so. Unless some previously undiscovered manuscript giving the true origin turns up, people will never be able to prove anything. Wink

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
anything with raw eggs can be in danger of giving you Salmonella

Was that Salmon P. Chase's daughter?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the band plays the Mayonnaise while the French army is dressing.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
And you wrote that in your salad days?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post