Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Stories from Summer School II
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stories from Summer School II Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
We held a "language olympics" involving the whole group where we combine spelling and grammar games with more physical activity like three-legged races.
To give us time to mark the runningdictation we put in a sit down round of "categories where the teams had to come up with - starting with each letter of the alphabet - items in four categories. The categoroes were food and drink, countries, jobs and - in hindsight we should have predicted the problems - parts of the body.

We had a fair selection of bums and arses (just like with British kids) and all five teams came up with "dick". I went to collect the papers and one lad, not from my class, held up his teams answered and pointed to "P" where he had written "PENUS".
He asked me with complete seriousness "Is my 'penis' alright?"
I resisted the urge to tell him that it shouldn't be bent in the middle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
hehehe
so What did you end up saying instead?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I just pointed out that our scoring system gave two points for the correct spelling and one for a correct word with a wrong spelling. And I told him the right spelling.

Boring I know but better than making a big deal out of a correct word. (Now as for the team that put "pussy"...)

posted Hide Post
Yes, you probably should have foreseen what the children were going to put. Unless they were in Kindergarten, I would expect a fair amount of "dick", "cock", "schlong", etc.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seanahan:
Yes, you probably should have foreseen what the children were going to put. Unless they were in Kindergarten, I would expect a fair amount of "dick", "cock", "schlong", etc.

Somehow you don't even consider the possibility when these are overseas students most of whom have very limited english language skills. It didn't occur to any of us that they would have such a specific vocabulary. (For the record they were 13-17 years old, mainly far eastern students.)

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now as for the team that put "pussy"...
Any chance of filling in that ellipsis? What did you say to them?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they were Japanese, the Anime they watch in English probably has a wealth of dirty words. I would imagine their parents don't know them, so they aren't stopped from watching such things.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post