Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Bat or happiness?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bat or happiness? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I always try to intrigue with my subject lines. Wink

Geoff, Tinman, Shu and I had a wonderful time today at the Lan Su Chinese Garden in Portland. It apparently is the most authentic Chinese garden outside of China. I found out that Chinese scholars love double meanings. For example, the sound for the word "bat" is "fu," which is identical to the sound of the word for "happiness." So...all along the roofline are bat-shaped drip tiles, representing the five blessings: long life, good health, love of virtue, and a painless passing.

Somehow I don't link bats to happiness, but each to his/her own.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you were a Chinese female Jew, you'd have a double pun at a Bat Mitzvah. Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I found out that Chinese scholars love double meanings.

I think ambiguity is important in most cultures. Jokes and poetry are two cultural artifacts I can think of that use ambiguity intentionally for humor and other emotional effect respectively. These ambiguities are going to be different on a per-language basis, because all languages have different words for concepts. Puns that work in German are hard to translate into Italian, etc.

I looked at a dictionary and in fact one of the words for bat, 蝙蝠 biānfú 'bat' contains a character (the second one) that is pronounced fú; there is another character of the same pronunciation, 福 fú 'happiness, fortune, good luck'. It is interesting that both of the characters for bat begin with the radicals 虫 (hǔi) 'insect'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Puns that work in German are hard to translate into Italian, etc.
Shu always tells of a Marx Brothers movie he saw in French where none of the English puns worked (obviously), but they did a magnificent job of creating their own puns in French with the translation. Apparently it was such an excellent job that the audience applauded.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post