Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Senior Moment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Senior Moment Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We hear, "I'm having a senior moment here all the time in the U.S. I even hear 20-somethings using it. I am curious; is it as rampant in other English-speaking countries?

I wanted to find when it first was used, and The Word Spy says it was 1996. That seems late to me, but then I surely don't recall having heard it before that time.

Thoughts? (Or, are you having a senior moment? Wink)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I believe I've had several senior moments - but I can't remember any of them.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
You don't Richard? My children remind me of them all the time. "Do you remember when Dad ..."

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have senior moments everyday when I can't even recall the name of a trashcan.... it's scary!!

And, yes, my children help me along.... though they are probably the cause...Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have senior moments everyday when I can't even recall the name of a trashcan
What's the name of your trashcan, KHC? Mine's name is Fred. Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I meant to write the "word" for trashcan...Big Grin

But now -- I'm naming it Barney!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Actually, I think all along people forget words and places and other things. However, when you hit about 40, and you are still forgetting the same things, then you call it a senior moment.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
We have lots of Senior moments around here - lots of Spanish speakers.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There was an article in my newspaper today that blames those "tip of the tongue" moments on caffeine. I don't have the paper with me now, so I can't quote directly.

Apparently researchers have discovered that caffeine actually helps people's recall when the word they need is related to the subject under discussion. However, if the conversation takes a new tack, it appears to hinder the subjects' ability to remember words.

For instance, the subjects were given a series of "priming" words, such as "Egypt", "hierarchy", "pyramid" etc., then were asked a question like "What was the ancient Egyptian picture-writing called?" Those who had ingested caffeine were more likely to answer immediately "hieroglyphics" than those in the control group.

However, if the "priming" words had no connection at all with the question, the caffeine-drinkers were less likely to be able to answer correctly than the control group.

Perhaps we can blame our "senior moments" on coffee and tea?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere alcohol has that effect too. In the quantities I get through, anyway.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear "brain fart" much more often. I'm not sure of the first occurence of either term, but I would imagine that "senior moment", or a similar phrase, goes back as long as people have gotten old enough to be able to start forgetting things.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that with reasonable quantities of alcohol my language skills plummet while my math skills barely suffer. Is this how my brain works, or some lurking factor?

posted Hide Post
It was only through reading this thread that I heard about senior moments.

The trick with caffeine is to have enough of it that you can remain primed on all subjects at once. Big Grin

Posts: 133 | Location: Melbourne, AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm surprised that you've not heard of the expression, Virge. Are you very young, or do you think that it's just not used in Oz?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hear "brain fart" much more often.

And, I haven't heard that one before, though I think I am happy about that! Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Brain fart" is more likely to be used by younger members of society for the simple reason that they are unlikely to blame these temporary memory lapses on encroaching old age, apart from in jest. At a guess, I'd say that I've heard the two terms used about equally.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you very young, or do you think that it's just not used in Oz?

I think it hasn't caught on in Oz.

As for the "very young" question, I was born a little over nine months after Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and The Big Bopper died. You can decide if that's young. Wink

posted Hide Post
I hear "Brain fart" the most, I would say, except for possibly "Mental lapse", which is the most straight-forward(should there be a - here?) of the terms. "Senior moment" is something I've only heard rarely.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now, I am getting the feeling, Seanahan, from other posts here, that you are young (college age?).

Virge, I don't think I'd call that "very young," but instead, "young at heart!"

posted Hide Post
Yes, I am 21, in college, and to me, Virge is ancient. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I am 21, in college, and to me, Virge is ancient. Smile

"You are old, father Virgil," the young man said,
"Though you think you are still young at heart;
Could it be senior moments in Oz are widespread,
But you've suffered a major brain fart?"

posted Hide Post
Virge is ancient.
Sean is young.
Virge knows mental lapses.
Sean knows "Where's my napses?"
Virge has many brain farts.
Sean knows many cute tarts.

I can't decide whether to try alcohol or caffeine to help my "senior moments"... and "moments" is really stretching the truth.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Virge, you're young! I measure time according to astronomical time. There was no such thing as a red shift when I was a kid!

Archaeo-Asa Wink

posted Hide Post
I think I realised I was getting old when I stopped thinking of age as some eccentricity that old people had chosen to adopt and realised that it's something that comes to all of us whether we want it to or not.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
I think I realised I was getting old when I stopped thinking of age as some eccentricity that old people had chosen to adopt and realised that it's something that comes to all of us whether we want it to or not.

... if you're lucky!

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Virge, you're young! I measure time according to astronomical time. There was no such thing as a red shift when I was a kid!

Back in my day, we didn't have all this space and time nonsense. WE HAD ONE DAMN POINT! And we were glad to have it, too!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: neveu,

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was no such thing as a red shift when I was a kid!

I'm a bit confused by this statement. Didn't Hubble discover red shift around WWI?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Hubble schmubble! The point is that I'm sixteen light years older than the Big Bang! Frown

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
My statement above is oxymoronic, since there was no light prior to the Big Bang. Thus I am really sixteen DARK years older than the Big Bang. Confused

posted Hide Post
A light year is a unit of time. There may or may not have been light before the Big Bang. This is impossible to know. The Big Bang was either "The Beginning" or a cosmic reset. As far as scientists can tell, time did not exist prior to the Big Bang. With that much matter(energy) all together, the space-time continuum breaks down. So, your statement is incorrect, but for completely different reasons. However, it is no more correct than "I hate you times infinity", "Well I hate you times infinity plus one", etc., conservations children have.

posted Hide Post
Quote "...A light year is a unit of time..."

I always understood it to be a unit of distance - the distance light would travel in one Earth year.

Richard English

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oy, such trouble I cause when I try to be a bit silly... Frown Since pre-Bang all matter was concentrated at a single point of infinate mass, I'll modify my statement: It it wasn't light years, it was heavy years!

posted Hide Post
You're right, I had a "senior moment". A light year is the distance light travels in a year.