Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
From an ad for dental adhesive...

Our ultimate adhesive cream
10x stronger hold*
*vs no adhesive

Surely ten times zero is zero.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that a certain amount of adhesion occurs with well-fitted dentures. When there's nothing between two surfaces they're held together by atmospheric pressure. Still, your point is well made.

I'm annoyed by statements such as "We do it better than anyone." That excludes the speaker from being a part of the very class they reference. Would that wording absolve the speaker of liability in a suit? Shufitz, whaddaya think?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
I'm annoyed by statements such as "We do it better than anyone." That excludes the speaker from being a part of the very class they reference.

I had a high school teacher who felt the same as you do. I just tell myself that there's an understood "else" in there. I find the jingle, "Nobody can do it like McDonald's can," ridiculous unless you put the "else" after "Nobody." Actually, it's ridiculous even then. All you have to do is fry a thin patty until all the juice and most of the taste is out of it and put it on a soft mushy bun.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tinman! Good to hear from you again! Did you get in on the York Limerick? Please vote for one now that they're posted.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post