Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Change.org has gone religious
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Change.org has gone religious Login/Join

posted
From one of their petitions, a typo:
Good Teachers Deserve Decent Pay
Pay Effective Teachers What They Deserve

America's most qualified teachers are grossly underpaid. That's not fair, and it's not good for our kids. Join the fight to make sure god teachers get fair pay. Wink

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Presumably it's only teachers of religious knowledge that require good pay.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, Geoff! I missed that one, and I am sure I get all of their petitions, as well as many others. Roll Eyes

About the petition itself, the key word is "effective." I wonder how that is (or if it is) being defined.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Also,
quote:
America's most qualified teachers are grossly underpaid.
A highly qualified teacher is not necessarily a good teacher. In fact, the opposite can often be the case.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I totally agree, arnie. The same goes in nursing. A well educated PhD professor might be one of the worse teachers. We are struggling with that in nursing right now.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed, arnie. One of the most effective teachers I had in high school was highly unorthodox, but had a gift for reaching even
the most difficult student. Instead of recognizing his ability in the classroom they "promoted" him to an administrative job. And, as Kalleh noted, we've all seen PhDs for whom it meant, "Pile high and Duplicate."

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post