Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Definitions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Definitions Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I heard a great story today about the importance of definitions. This speaker was telling us that when he speaks about defining "ethics," his students often say, "Oh, it's just semantics!" Here is what he tells his students:

A delicatessen owner moved into a shopping center, signing a contract saying that no other sandwich shops could lease space in that center. One day, he saw that a McDonald's was moving into the center. He contacted the owner of the shopping center, reminding him of the contract. The owner of the center said that hamburgers weren't sandwiches. So the deli owner sued the shopping center. The judge ruled in favor of the deli owner, saying that a "sandwich is meat situated between 2 pieces of bread."

Of course, if indeed that was the judge's ruling, I think it is balderdash. You don't need either meat or bread for it to be a sandwich. Look at all those croissant sandwiches or cheese sandwiches, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
... I think it is balderdash.

As the cop said, "Tell it to the judge, lady."

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Which would you rather have for lunch: a hamburger, or a sandwich?

Or would you prefer a sandwich or a BLT?

The second question is odd precisely because a BLT is a kind of sandwich. If the first question didn't strike you as odd, then in your mind a hamburger is not a type of "sandwich".

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The thread about the BBC programme Balderdash and Piffle mentions the search for an earlier cite for a 'Ploughman's Lunch'. Although they later discovered an even earlier cite, they mentioned a reference in an American (I think New York) newspaper that defined it as 'a kind of open cheese sandwich'.

I wonder how that fits with the judge's definition.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post