Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Banning words from the courtroom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Banning words from the courtroom Login/Join

posted
This shocked me so much:

A Nebraska judge bans the word rape from his courtroom.

Yet again in rape cases it's one rule for the defendant, another for the 'complainant'. Worse is the fact that the jury won't be told of this ban, so when they hear the woman say 'he had sex with me'*, that'll surely (if the judge is even correct) influence them as much as the word 'rape' would have, only the other way round - good grief, even I'd be thinking 'why's she not using the word if that's what happened to her?'. Like I said, one rule...

There's some interesting stuff in the article about the power of words, if you can prevent the red mist from descending long enough to read it.

* I sincerely hope she can say 'non-consensual' or 'forced'.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
This was my favorite line of the linked article:
"If the complaining witness in a rape trial has to describe herself as having had 'intercourse' with the defendant, should the complaining witness in a mugging be forced to testify that he was merely giving his attacker a loan?"

IMO, for the duration of the trial at least, the defendant's attorney should change his name-- which is Mock-- to "Serious."

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable! Mad I don't know whether to scream or weep.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Only in America. What a travesty.

Nice to see you back, Cat. Hang around awhile! Smile

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only in America. What a travesty.

I'm glad I didn't say that Wink

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post