Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Favorite phrases
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite phrases Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In another thread, I mentioned how I love the following phrase:

That really dusts my doilies!

It means that it really is irritating. I don't remember where I first heard it nor do I really know what it means. Somebody once commented that it is quite difficult to "dust doilies" (I wouldn't know!)--and that may be its derivation.

At any rate, I love saying it because people really think it's a funny saying. What are your favorite expressions of irritation or joy or whatever????

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
My favorite expression of apology: "A thousands pardons, my forehead scrapes the floor."

I'm completely at a loss to explain where that comes from. A pre-1960's British movie set in India, possibly? Any help out there on this? It has bugged me for years.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That one is good, CJ. However, I am still laughing over your post in another thread, Oh Holy Sweet Jesus on a Moped! I have a hunch that you have a wide collection of hilarious phrases! big grin

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
This might be a bit off the point but one of my very favorite phrases, delivered in an aggravated tone and accompanied by a scowl, is "Do I look like Fred Astaire?!" as in:

A friend: "What date does Thanksgiving fall on this year?"
Me: "Do I look like Fred Astaire?!"

or

Another friend: "What is the capital of Denmark?"
Me: "Do I look like Fred Astaire?!"

When done properly, the friend assumes that I've made a blisteringly funny comment and that he or she just doesn't get it. Other nearby friends who happen to be in on the gag invariably laugh which just goes to bolster the first person's confusion.

And, no, you're correct, I don't have a huge number of friends...

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh Holy Sweet Jesus on a Moped!

A similarly colourful expression that my father used quite often was "Christ on a crutch!"

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ex-husband had an annoying saying...of course, the man was annoying anyway! "Whatever blows your dress up!" roll eyes

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, CJ, you'd be my friend because I'd be in stitches all the time! big grin

The following is another favorite of mine, and it has some good history, too:
Go suck an egg!

Yes, Arnie, my mom used to say "Christ on a crutch", too. Also, there is "Jesus H. Christ!" Does anyone know what "H" stands for? confused

posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, there is "Jesus H. Christ!" Does anyone know what "H" stands for?
Kalleh! My dad says this all the time. Has driven me nuts for years with it, and I never had the nerve to ask him what the "H" stood for! PLEASE tell me someone, anyone, knows what it means?

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Also, there is "Jesus H. Christ!" Does anyone know what "H" stands for? confused

Henry.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:
quote:
Also, there is "Jesus H. Christ!" Does anyone know what "H" stands for?

The short answer is "no".
I've seen this discussed before (I'll post the links when I find them) but there seem to be as many theories about the "H" as there are people to invent them.

My favourite (which I think I invented) is that it's the same as the H in the name of the actor Harry H. Corbett - it doesn't stand for anything, it was added to avoid confusion with an artist of a similar name. big grin big grin

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Haploid

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Regarding the H in "Jesus H. Christ," the short answer may be "no" but the correct answer is "Harold" as in:

"Our Father, who art in heaven, Harold be thy name."

(snicker...)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Not my original...

Regarding the H in "Jesus H. Christ," the short answer may be "no" but the correct answer is "Harold" as in:

"Our Father, who art in heaven, Harold be thy name."

(snicker...)

I thought his name was Andy!

Andy walks with me, Andy talks with me.... big grin

posted Hide Post
Quinion says:
quote:
JESUS H CHRIST: There have been various theories, but the one that seems most plausible is that it comes from the Greek monogram for Jesus, IHS or IHC. This is formed from the first two letters plus the last letter of His name in Greek (the letters iota, eta, and sigma; in the second instance, the C is a Byzantine Greek form of sigma). The H is actually the capital letter form of eta, but churchgoers who were unfamiliar with Greek took it to be a Latin H.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, there really does seem to be an answer!
Tinman, I'm curious; you seemed so confident when you just said, "Henry". Were you just pulling our legs? big grin

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
To get back to the original question posted on this thread, for a while, when I wanted to express aproval for someone, I would say "He's worth his weight in wart remover." My own coinage, thank you very much. It made no sense, of course, but I liked the way it sounded. Feel free to use it.

I've got another far more recent coinage, inspired by this board, that I haven't even had the opportunity use yet. The next time someone gives me grief unnecessarily, I'm going to tell them, "Well, if you don't like it, you can just go polish my syntax!"

Should be worth a laugh and/or a pop in the snoot!

posted Hide Post
quote:
"Well, if you don't like it, you can just go polish my syntax!"

May I borrow that one?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Tinman, I'm curious; you seemed so confident when you just said, "Henry". Were you just pulling our legs? big grin

Yes, and what nice legs they are! I assumed the "H" was added for emphasis, much like your Mother, when you were a child, would use your first and middle names when she was upset with you. If she called, "Kalleh", you knew she wasn't mad. If she yelled (not called), "Kalleh Jean" (or whatever your middle name is), you knew she was serious and a bit perturbed with you. If she then used your full name - "Kalleh Jean Morganstern" (remember Rhoda Morganstern from The Mary Tyler Moore Show?) - you knew she was really mad!

I think the difference between JC (Jesus Christ) and JHC is the same as the difference between BD (big deal) and BFD.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this phrase is almost always said in anger, I assumed it meant "Hell".

Posts: 113 | Location: Minnesota, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post