Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Flexitarian
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flexitarian Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
On the radio this morning I heard that this word, flexitarian, won an award for being one of the best new coinages. As you can see from this link, it is someone who eats mostly vegetarian, but will eat meat on occasion. For flexitarians the diet is chosen for health reasons, not out of concern for animal rights.

In fact it was the word of the week on bestweekever.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
Similarly, back in the 60's there was the drug known as "HTT" as in "I'm not a major user but I'll occasionally do some HTT."

"HTT" stood for "Here, take this" and the above quote indicated that the speaker would pretty much take any drug as long as he/she didn't have to pay for it, illicitly flexitarian as it were.

It was a fun enough term but I don't think it ever caught on.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suspect that "flexitarian" won't catch on either. It seems vague to me. After all, we all think about our diet, and too much meat, from time to to time. Is anyone who isn't a "vegetarian" a "flexitarian" then?

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Then there's breatharians who try to live only by breathing air. One of them was debunked a while back for eating Big Macs or some such.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And, the worditarians; we on wordcrafter live by words, and words alone. Wink

P.S. I am so glad that jheem didn't read my post in the Special Word of the Moment. Phew! I was afraid I might start something again. Roll Eyes.