Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Yet more PC nonsense
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yet more PC nonsense Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
A local councilor in Wolverhampton has proposed the banning of the singing of "Land of Hope and Glory" at this years Festival of Remebrance.
What magnificent piece of stirring patriotic music does he want to replace it?

"Sailing" by Rod Stewart. He says that LoHaG is too political for our modern society and that Sailing is more "relevent to the young". I'll bet you can't find anyone under twenty five who has heard of Rod Stewart.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
And in land-locked Wolverhampton, too! Red Face

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll bet you can't find anyone under twenty five who has heard of Rod Stewart.

And although there might not be too many who've heard of Elgar you can be sure they'll know the Pomp and Circumstance March tune.

But truthfully, what a berk. I'll bet he drinks Budweiser so as not to be seen be patriotic by drinking Banks's Ales - "Unspoilt by Progress".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That is just amazing, Bob. I can't imagine the uproar that would occur here if that happened!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
He has now backed down after a storm of protest from all sides.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
OK - here is a difference, I guess. Why would a lack of patriotism be something of which to be proud? What's the point in it? To proudly hold one's self up as unpatriotic - reminds me of the US during the 70's during and after the Vietnam protests. Puzzling to me.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 9/11, a certain radio company, which will remain nameless, banned an absurd list of songs, one of which was Imagine. Now, I'm sure most of you have heard this song by John Lennon, and will be flummoxed at why this possibly be banned. Political correctness takes a mind of its own.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
One shouldn't mistake a studied and rational criticism of one's government for an attack on one's country or an indication of "unpatriotic" behavior. The "my country right or wrong" mentality is its own brand of pernicious PC posturing. The US's involvement in Vietnam was morally and geopolitically wrong.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
To proudly hold one's self up as unpatriotic - reminds me of the US during the 70's during and after the Vietnam protests.

CW, those protests weren't unpatriotic; they were an expression of their opinions toward the Vietnam war, and our Constitution does support protests.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
zmj and Kalleh - you are both correct. I didn't mean to say that all the protests were unpatriotic, or that disagreeing with the government is.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post