Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    David Mitchell on Spelling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

David Mitchell on Spelling Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
David Mitchell is one of our better comedians in my view. Here he is talking sensibly (again in my view) about spelling.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, it was punctuation, too, but I agree it was sensible. Let's face it, people do judge when people make mistakes. I type really fast, and when I go back to edit, I have sometimes used the wrong "they're," for example, and then change it. I've wondered how many times I haven't had time to edit or haven't caught an error and someone has judged me. I've heard it before: "And he even has a PhD!"...or something similar.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I wonder whether he was expecting people to contact him about the error on the blackboard behind him? It was, of course, neither spelling nor punctuation, so maybe not.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post