Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Mad as hell
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mad as hell Login/Join

posted
I've just got back from the pub (seven pints of Guinness and three Glenmorangies - so excuse any errors!) and I'm absolutely livid with what I have just been exposed to on the pub's food menu. Alongside the regular dishes we are advised that there are daily specials available. These "specials" are to be found on the CHALKBOARD.

CHALKBOARD? - What in the hell happened to BLACKBOARD? - The manager advised me that this is to avoid offending our darker skinned bretheren!

Who can possibly be offended by a board, which is black, being callad a black board?

I'm off to bed.

Good night.

Posts: 73 | Location: Morpeth, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I suppose that by the same token, "euphemisms" should properly be euphematized as eupersonisms. It might create confusion to call them eumanisms.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Amazing FatStan. I used the word niggardly once and was told that a high-ranking official in our government was swiftly fired after using it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who can possibly be offended by a board, which is black, being callad a black board?
Many years ago, all the blackboards around here were replaced with green boards. White or yellow chalk on a green background is easier on the eyes than the white chalk on a black background. At that point, I believe we began calling them chalkboards as they still came in two colors, but both used chalk as their medium for writing.

I agree though, sometimes you can take the worry of offending someone too far!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I, too, have had this problem but agree that the advent of green boards meant that the earlier expression was now longer accurate and so I do now used the term chalkboard.

Whiteboards, though, are still called white since, so far as I know, they don't come in any other colours.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
In an inspection report, I once wrote "A majority of the work is being accomplished by a minority of the workers" and was told that I would have to rewrite that line so as to not offend members of any minorities. I pointed out that race had absolutely nothing to do with it, as could be easily seen if you simply read the line as I had written it, and that the only people who would confuse my meaning in this way would have to be particulary dim. I was told that we didn't want to offend them either and was forced to rewrite it into something as drab as "Workloads are inproportionate to available personnel levels." BLAAAH!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had I been your boss I'd have asked yo to re-write it to correct its grammar!

Quote from the OED:

"Majority is only used with countable nouns, e.g. a majority of the people and not with mass nouns, e.g. a majority of the work".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was told that we didn't want to offend them either and was forced to rewrite it into something as drab as "Workloads are inproportionate to available personnel levels." BLAAAH!

How about, "20% of the people accomplish 80% of the work."

"inproportionate"??? wink

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
R.E., that's interesting but then how would you correct the phrase "a majority of the work" without totally rewriting it? I'm not trying to be feisty here, I'd really like to know.

And yes, Shufitz, "inproportionate." Irregardless (again, BLAAAH!) of how ugly the word is, that was how we were instructed to write. I fought long and hard over various aspects of English (the language, not the beer expert; I didn't know R.E. back then) and finally had to resort to carrying grammar texts with me to back me up.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Can you cite a dictionary CJ ?
None of mine contain the word inproportionate only the word disproportionate.
(Not that I'd doubt you for a minute - after all I do hold a post in your newly formed Government.)

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Bob, as to your first paragraph, I see you understand me better than CJ did. wink

As to your second, does "Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum" mean what I refer to with the acronym GIGO?

posted Hide Post
Although it doesn't have the nice ring of contrast between majority and minority, I think I'd have written, "...Most of the work is being done by a minority..."

As an aside I would mention that the phenomenon you cite is well known and was first cited by the Italian economist Wilfredo Pareto at the end of the 19th Century. He found that 80% of Italy's wealth was controlled by 20% of its population.

This principle, usually known as the 80/20 rule, has been found to apply to most situations where variables exist. For example, most people wear 20% of the clothes in their wardrobes for 80% of the time; 80% of a company's profit comes from 20% of its customers, and so on.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:

As to your second, does "Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum" mean what I refer to with the acronym GIGO

Yes

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
As Richard notes:
This principle, usually known as the 80/20 rule, has been found to apply to most situations where variables exist. For example, ...

For example, as CJ notes, 80% of the posts come from 20% of the registrants.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Can you cite a dictionary CJ ?
None of mine contain the word inproportionate only the word disproportionate.

This is exactly my point. That ridiculous word will be found in no dictionary but, if you should augment your casual reading with 15-year-old inspection reports that I was forced to mis-edit, you'll find it there. Much to my massive consternation (a source of great amusement to co-workers who did not share my respect for the correct and proper use of our language) an enlisted person (me) with a dictionary was often outranked by a colonel who, don't ask me why, insisted on the legitimacy of words like "inproportionate"!

We would also struggle deep into the night over hyphens. Try as I might I could never teach him that two words used as one adjective before a noun take a hyphen while they don't if used as description afterwards. Hence "a well-dressed man" with the hyphen is the same as "a man who is well dressed" without it but the colonel, a nice enough guy otherwise, would curse me when I bled on his writing (slang term meaning to edit using a red pen to point out and correct errors) and swear that I was making these rules up as I went along!

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
This principle, usually known as the 80/20 rule, has been found to apply to most situations where variables exist. For example, ...

There's a variation on this known as the "90/10 Rule" which states "The first 90% of a job takes the first 90% of the time available to accomplish it. The last 10% of the job takes the second 90% of the time."